Kulp controller not supplying power to beaglebone

SamJ

New elf
I just received my controller and pixels a few days ago and starting to work on assembling a controller box. Unfortunately I can't get the beaglebone to power up from the board. The voltage jumper is set to 5V to match my PSU and the power from board jumper is in place, but no lights or anything on the beagle. I can power it separately with a USB cable and it runs - I was able to test all of my pixels. Any ideas?

Edit: Included a picture of the board. Currently J2 is removed b/c the BBB wouldn't even run on the USB input if it was in place.
IMG_5801.jpg

Last edited:

jollyzee

New elf
Looks like a K16A-B? Power (+5) needs to be applied to both sides of the Kulp board. The BBB takes power from the right side (9-16) - I believe. If your BBB has the micro SD card with FPP setup installed you don't need the USB connection to the BBB.
You say your BBB is not powering up. Do you have a OLed display on your Kulp? If so, does it display anything at all?
So - how where you able to test your pixels?:unsure:

SamJ

New elf
Looks like a K16A-B? Power (+5) needs to be applied to both sides of the Kulp board. The BBB takes power from the right side (9-16) - I believe. If your BBB has the micro SD card with FPP setup installed you don't need the USB connection to the BBB.
You say your BBB is not powering up. Do you have a OLed display on your Kulp? If so, does it display anything at all?
So - how where you able to test your pixels?:unsure:
Hi Jollyzee, I have power on both sides of the board. The BBB won't take the power from the board which is why I have the USB connected.

I ran through some of this with Grozzy in my other thread https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/flickering-issue-on-5v-pixels.13998/

Latest update is that the BBB now won't boot if it's connected to the cape, but will run on its own. It's been a rough few days trying to get started.

Grozzy

Oh great, the idiot's back
It shouldn't be giving you so much grief and it likely has a fault. You have checked and troubleshot all of the right things so I would suggest you contact the supplier for a replacement.

Can you just post one last photo of a close-up of the ICs next to J2

SamJ

New elf
It shouldn't be giving you so much grief and it likely has a fault. You have checked and troubleshot all of the right things so I would suggest you contact the supplier for a replacement.

Can you just post one last photo of a close-up of the ICs next to J2
DEBC11A3-034B-43D4-B7A1-1E7F7AA8B645.jpeg
I reached out to the supplier and will follow up with them again tomorrow.

jonlebaugh

New elf
Resurrecting an old thread.. Did you ever get a resolution to this? I have a board that I was never able to get working that has this exact problem. I was hoping to use it to expand my show this year if there is a solution outside of getting a new board.

bpuckett71

New elf
Resurrecting an old thread.. Did you ever get a resolution to this? I have a board that I was never able to get working that has this exact problem. I was hoping to use it to expand my show this year if there is a solution outside of getting a new board.
I'm in the same boat as OP and jonlebaugh. Powering just the K16A-B only lights up the fuses. No led at the power button and no power on the Beagle Bone Black. Any troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated.