Last year I had an erection problem

elnino

Full time elf
With one of my LED strips.

Some of you may have seen/noticed it:
limp.jpg

You see, I have a 2 storey house and well, I was too paranoid about doing a Molly Meldrum so was not keen on climbing a ladder to get the strip up. A friend helped with 2 of the 3 clips but the 3rd was too awkward as the ground below was too uneven. We managed to get it up properly with double sided tape but it only lasted about 2 days.

My strips are mounted in polycarb 'end cap' from bunnings to keep them sheltered and straight.

I was so paranoid about getting up the ladder that the strip actually stayed up all year, I only pulled it down a week ago by hitting the zip ties with a chisel mounted on a pole but by then the other clip had failed and it was sagging quite bad.

So, still being just as paranoid of coming a cropper putting up the lights I devised a better way of putting this strip up this year.

I noticed the 'gutter clips' at bunnings the other day - 100 for $8 http://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-entertainment-light-gutter-clips-100-pack_p4351052
2015-11-19 20.01.42.jpg

I decided to use these 'upside down' to support the strip. I trimmed off some parts:
2015-11-19 20.02.07.jpg

Then the idea was to attach them to the wall with silicone as i have done with all the other cable tie mounts. but HOW? Still just as chicken to get up the ladder to mount the things i came up with this:
2015-11-19 20.01.21.jpg 2015-11-19 20.01.29.jpg

This is on the end of a ~4.5m pole. I simply smeared some silicone on the clips and inserted it into the foam bit which holds it just enough to stop it from falling out. I then carefully raised it into position and pressed it onto the wall. Then, just slide up and the clip slides out of the pocket and stays on the wall.

Now all i have to do is use 2 similar poles supporting 3rds of the strip to slot it in!

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I'd rather not do a Molly Meldrum myself. I did have a ladder incident a couple of years ago and ended up sliding nearly 4m down a tree while wrapped around it leaving permanent scarring on wrist, arms and leg. At least I didn't do a Molly. What I'm actually posing about is the longevity of those clips. They typically only last about 2 months in direct sunlight and then they become brittle and eventually break down. So they should do you this season but they will be knackered by next year.

elnino

Full time elf
In my case they are fairly sheltered - No direct sunlight so hopefully they last longer than that..

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
I have had my clips last 2 years before becoming brittle.
This year I am replacing them and mounting my strips on PVC

-Blu