Late start to 2022

JacksonHo

New elf
Hi all, one thing I am trying to get my head around is power injection. I think I can have about 500 pixels off a 350w power supply but that means I will need to inject about 3 times. I can get the T cables but do these all just run to the power supply or is there a neater way. I don't think it will be easy to screw in 3 lines into the power supply connection.
If I am just injecting power can I run a cable from the power supply into a junction box and then the T cables from there? I assume I will need around AG12 to run 10m.

JacksonHo

New elf
Hi, sorry for all the questions. I've just done up a diagram and think I now have it mostly sorted before ordering all the stuff tomorrow. I've attached the diagram for a sanity check. My major question is now about the 2nd power supply. I am going to split my lights into 2 x 500 pixels on each power supply. For the run to the fence I was going to setup the second power supply closer to the fence as it will be 10m from the controller. In order to get the power right on the fence set, do I run the data, +ve and -ve from the controller to the first 200 pixels, then connect the data and ground to the next set of pixels but in the T connection connect the +ve and ground from the second power supply?Slide1.JPG

TerryK

Retired Elf
In general without knowing the pixel drive levels or pixel types I think that will work but I do have a few concerns.

I'm a bit unsure from your description of the 'T' wiring but it seems supply #2 V+ is routed downstream and not back towards the controller. That is supply #1 V+ ends at the last pixel of the 4th mini tree. If that's correct, while you indicate 500 pixels on each supply but with NOT connecting the supply #2 V+ between the #4 and #5 mini tree the first 4 mini tress will be powered from the controller. Essentially supply #1 if I counted correctly, will power 700 pixels. Leaving supply #2 powering only 296 pixels. Second, power injection is mostly every 100 pixels but Output #1 has in one of its sections 200 pixels between power injection.

Maintaining a good V- reference when the supplies have a fair separation is or can be a bit of a challenge. Here the V- reference is spread along the first 4 mini trees. The first pixel of the first mini tree should see a good V- reference from the controller (supply #1 indirectly) and as the V- reference 'shifts' along the mini tree string towards the supply #2 V-, the data will shift along with it. Towards the #4 and #5 mini tree junction the V- and data will be referencing supply #2. Everything should carry on fairly well from there.

Again, if I understood what you posted, to balance the number of pixels on each output I would have the controller Output #2 run ONLY V- and Data. Add a power injection line from supply #2 to the first pixel of the first mini tree. The V- reference between the supplies would then run from supply #1 to the controller to output #2 to mini tree #1 pixel #1 to supply #2.