Layout of Display Elements in Sequencer

Dreamin

Full time elf
Hi Everyone,

I've been meaning to ask this for ages. Second year here! The first year I created many props and called them stuff like Entire House, MegaTree, Mini Trees Only groups and props called Icicles etc. The problem is when I start a new sequence the layout of the Display Elements is all over the place, nothing is in order it's really time consuming to find elements and group them. It's fair to say now that I'm nudging 6k pixels it's getting out of control! xD

I purchased a few show stopper sequences and notice they use a numbering system for grouping props. They actually provide a document with all the props on it in numbered order.

Is that a better way to do my layout? I'm about to rejig all my layout and add in my new props for this year and then test, so I though I might just bite the bullet and tidy this up. Maybe sequencing (which I enjoy) might start off with less of the frustration of organising the props if it follows the numbers and the layout is consistant each time and organised. Is that the way his numbering system works?

Image if anyone hasn't see one of the showstopper numbering systems
View: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4uk5r299ch2viih/2021-08-02%20%281%29.png?dl=0

Does anyone have any tips on how to nail it the first time?

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
This is my first year of doing this and I will have under 3k pixels. However, in my day job we normally work with naming standards for different things.

I am trying to keep to a naming standard right now for when I create groups.

It looks like an interesting system and there would be nothing wrong with it. The problem is will it work for you? Will you be dedicated to follow that naming standard? Pick something that makes sense to you and stick with it.

Dreamin

Full time elf
Yeah that example might be a bit over the top for me. I did that once with my home network but that all got mess over the years! lol.

The problem is that on the layout tab they are quite organised, so all the spots are together, all the talking faces etc. but when I start a sequence and accept all models the list is crazy all over the place. Like entire house is at the top of groups, and single models seem to go by newer at the top. It's just not organised. Is there a way to reorganise them without having to spend heaps of time in display elements rearranging them?

Previously I've sat there and organised them all, having to do that each time is a bit painful.

Here's what it looks like now.

View: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4hnn30p1djwrhq/2021-08-03%20%284%29.png?dl=0

i13

Dedicated elf
I have the same problem. The workaround is to save an existing sequence with a different name, delete all of the effects and change the audio. You could make a template sequence so that you don't need to delete the effects every time.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
You need the view option! You can clone the master view and arrange the new one to your liking and then set it as the master for new sequences. This way it will always be there until you adjust it. Of course you will have to manually update it when new elements are added or old ones removed. I did find that after you set the new view as master you do need to restart xlights for that to start working properly. I just learned about cloning views earlier this week in chat! :)

Dreamin

Full time elf
You need the view option! You can clone the master view and arrange the new one to your liking and then set it as the master for new sequences. This way it will always be there until you adjust it. Of course you will have to manually update it when new elements are added or old ones removed. I did find that after you set the new view as master you do need to restart xlights for that to start working properly. I just learned about cloning views earlier this week in chat! :)
Thanks I'll give that a go! :)