Leaving lights on roof.

grahami2006

Full time elf
As I am now getting on in years I was wondering if anyone leaves their lights on the roof all year or will I have to keep climbing up and down ladders.
Thanks
Graham

Benslights

Dedicated elf
Hi Graham

shire has left some up in a tree for the same reason but they only lasted 2 years from memory.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
i think it would help but the other option i would try is asking someone a little younger to help you with the lights on the roof. then you know they will last longer

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
I am considering adding into my Will failure to assist with light installation will result in decreased inheritance

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Depending on what you are using will depend on what you need, leaving lights on a roof is about the hardest conditions that can be found, very large temperature fluctuations, extreme heat and cold, maximum UV exposure, maximum rain exposure, these all add up to dramatically reduce the life of anything that is left on the roof.

So what can you do, find something that is UV resistant that will protect the lights before mounting them permanently, for strips Bruce (TuppetsDad) found some great UV sleeves that should work great for this application, i wonder how well this would work for strings and such

take a look at this thread for more information
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1463.0.html

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
I also have this problem of age. I am now leaving lights up in protected locations - those under the eaves and the roof outlines which get little direct sun exposure. The latter are CCRs & RGB dumb strips.

I do not leave up lights that are directly exposed to sun and rain as my experience says the failure rate is too high.