LED Matrix

westy27

Apprentice elf
Hello guys and girls,

Now I'm fairly new to the RGB DMX world and am wanting to start planning my 2012 christmas show.

I want to put a RGB Video Matrix into it if possible of around 1.5m x 1.5m.

Now i think for the back board i will use woven material in a lattice design so it can be rolled up and stored. Think this is the best idea?

Now for the LED and drivers, as i do not have much knowledge on this would this be the best pack, the house is fairly close to the road so i would need the LED's to be fairly close in proximity.

http://ladyada.net/make/adavision/index.html

Cheers

Mike

CLAP infected!
Man thats expensive for the kit. Especially being that small.

Woven lattice idea could work. Depending on what you use of course.

My big matrix for next year will probably run a p12r controller from j1sys or possibly a custom made board. As for the pixels, Im still undecided but if you search on aliexpress there are hundreds to choose from. search under pixel screen and you will see what I mean. It all depends on how you want to control it. DMX is an option on some of the screens out of china and it will be way less than that screen you posted.

I know this post is probably not too much help but might make you think about another way of doing it

westy27

Apprentice elf
Thanks mate , have looked into it alot more after this post and came to the same conclusion you posted.

Cheers and thanks for taking the time.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
One thing for matrix people you might want to have a look at using pixel based on the 5050 RGB Led, I have some and they really are well suited to doing a matrix which is always facing the viewer

Phil

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
My personal choice of light to use for a matrix is the 2801 individually controlled strip, this should give you a decent resolution and be very easy to construct. Just remember though that creating a video using a refesh rate of above 15 frames per second may cause you issues depending on what software is used as that ends up being a lot of channels (depending on the rerolution of the matrix) and you may have issues driving it correctly, dont expect the same refresh rates as what you would see in a video curtain/matrix.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
The only biggish issue with using the flexible strip is the "pixel" spacing of Approx 32mm, this locks you into a 32mm Pixel pitch for square pixels.
This in itself is not a bad thng as close spacing improves the viewing experience and is better for video but it can and will get expensive fast.
Let's say we do a 16:9 aspect ratio matrix as an example.
We will make it 80 pixels wide - 2.5M - 98"
for 16:9 that makes the vertical height - 1.4M - 55"
at 32mm spacing vertically to maintain a square pixel gives 44 Rows high.
This totals 22 x 5M strips to make a 2.5M x 1.4M Matrix

I'll leave it up to others to decide if this is value or not.

As for software, LightFactory Personal http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,2148.0.html for one can take video at the nominal 24 or 30 fps and output to Matrix arrays much larger that that in real time at full frame rate.

Cheers
Phil

BillInSoFL

Apprentice elf
I've been looking for a flexible material as well. So far I haven't found anything. Might fall back to a tarp and rip tie the strings to it. My other idea was 10MM translucent coro :) But that would be a much more permanent configuration.