LEDTriks fault

justinj

Apprentice elf
HELP!!!

Lithgow kindly sent me some LED drivers as I had only been given 6 of the 12 I needed but I'm having problems with these other ones. Any help is REALLY appreciated as I'll otherwise only have 2/4 panels working :(
LEDTriks.wmv
Edit: The replacement ICs are STP16CP05

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Sorry the chips did not work - they work ok here in the boards, but I know we often had to drop the voltage on the ledtriks board as compared to the triks C to get them to work successfully. My boards still have a diode in line, but having said that they also dont work with that com port you sent me - I have the same ones and they wont drive my board, BUT the test mode works fine.

I am at a loss as to what the issue could be as I cant test mine as the board is not really designed to come apart easily, nor be taken off the house without a bit of work.

As for the diode, any 1 amp diode will work - Jaycar cat number CAT. NO. ZR1004 (1N4004) is what I used

justinj

Apprentice elf
Well if I get no other solutions tomorrow I'll be buying those diodes in the hope they'll work as I've spent a LOT of time making the other 2 panels that aren't working (Those who own a LEDTriks are the only ones that could truely feel my pain in that aspect).
Don't know if it'll help diagnose a fault but when I have 2 MBIs running in test mode they work fine. If I have 1 MBI and 1 STP they panel running the MBIs get flicker through them (But not like the STP boards) but that might just be because of current spikes and sags from the other one suddenly changing power usage when it goes dim?

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
You took the easy way out - people who soldered 768 LED's to their own copper grid truely know the pain - I did it 4 times lol.

Seriously though your issue has me stumped as to what the cause can be unless I simply sent you all dead chips

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Oddly enough instead of a 1 or .1uf cap in the ledtriks boards I have a 47uf - I think that was a tip from way back and may be the issue you noted Tim - I'd forgotten about that one, thanks

justinj

Apprentice elf
I put some 1uf caps as recommended by TimW and now it's working great
smile.gif

Thanks for all the help!