LFP - Aussiephil Video 3 - Patching, channel groups and shortcuts

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Disclaimer: I am a newbie to Light Factory and to Cue based sequencing so anything i show you may be incorrect or a better way may exist.

Video Three:
In this video i'm looking some more patching, recording channel groups, shortcuts and recording cues.

From this point on the videos will be based on my 2011 Christmas light show hardware and lights to try and ground any work now in actual real life sequencing.
https://vimeo.com/42476802

--------------------------------------
Looking at the terminology below a channel on a AC or DC controller board used for strings of lights would be considered a Conventional Fixture

A RGB String or RGB Pixel would be considered and intelligent fixture as you will set three DMX channels to get the required light.

Light Factory Personal comes with the basic RGB and dimmer fixtures enabled and this will cover a majority of any show.

Some Terminology direct from the User Guide:

Channels (Logical/desk channels or Fixtures)
A channel is a controller on a lighting console (eg, LightFactory) that is used for controlling dimmers.
In the case of a simple light with one dimmer, a single channel would control one dimmer. More sophisticated lighting fixtures, which utilise multiple dimmers to control various properties or attributes of the fixture (such as intensity, position, colour, etc), are controlled by a single channel, i.e., multiple dimmers are controlled by one channel.

Dimmers
In the simplest terms, a dimmer is a physical apparatus used for controlling the intensity of a basic light.
A dimmer can be fully on, fully off, or somewhere in-between. The setting of a dimmer is referred to as the DMX value. DMX values
range from zero to 255. A value of zero means the light is off, and 255 means the light is fully on.

Conventional fixtures
Conventional fixtures are those that have only one property that can be controlled from the lighting desk, hence requiring a single dimmer to control it.

Intelligent Fixtures
Intelligent fixtures, in contrast to conventional fixtures, have multiple attributes that can be controlled from the lighting desk.

Cheers
Phil

msearancke

New elf
Thanks so much for sharing these videos. You have a good handle on the product.
Its interesting for me to learn our you refer to your controllers when you think of pixels or lights. Its not something that we think about in performance lighting.

A few things I would like to add...

1. You do not need to go back to the command interface to enter a command. You can actually just type any command while the channel display is focused and it will work. e.g. If you type 1/100 {enter} while the channel display is active it will select channels 1 though to 100.

2. The colour chooser will only pin to the channel display if there is space to the right of the channel window. In the video the window was too big for it to attach it.

3. You can also create selection shortcuts from the "Selection Shortcuts" menu in the channel display.

Martin

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Martin

Thanks, slowly wrapping my head around it. Good to get feedback that I'm on the mark.

1. Good to know, makes life even easier. really getting to like the command interface.

2. ok that makes sense, currently doing the video's on monitor2 otherwise it would attach to the right, Ta.

3. Now how did i miss that one, time to play some more

Looks like i'll be attending a couple mini's this year now so trying to get up to speed to give a presentation or two.

Cheers
Phil