Light Factory

angus40

Senior elf
download the demo
once installed goto>>> file/system properties/appearance there you can add picture etc ,under layout view background image.

neilric99

Full time elf
from the FAQ

Q8 - Does LightFactory have any visualization tools included with the software?
The recommended visualization for LightFactory is the Capture console edition. Click here
for more information.
LightFactory does not have any built in visualization tools but includes native support and full integration with Cast software's WYSIWYG, Light Converse and Capture.

I see that Caoture console edition as a special of $499 if you purchase a lighhtfactory license

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
One thing i would highly recommend is that anyone interesting in knowing more at least grab the User Guide from the LF website, it is well written, clear and understandable.
Was you wrap the head around some of the concepts the power this software can bring to the table is just awesome.

Cheers
Phil

msearancke

New elf
The show in the video used a mix of sACN(E1.31) and ArtNet.
Of the 114 universes of DMX in the show about 80 of them were sACN.

If anyone has any other technical questions about the product I am happy to answer them here.

This is new territory for me as I really had no idea that this market existed outside of the big budget shows like the one in the video. Essentially this offer is about finding out how big the consumer market is for the software. The bigger the market the lower the cost of the software. In professional lighting 10+ universe shows is still not that common and so we do not sell a lot of these large universe count systems and the price reflects that.

Martin Searancke
Dream Solutions Ltd
Auckland, New Zealand
(programmer for the show in the video and also the developer of LightFactory)

Tabor said:
Can you clarify or have you tested the demo will output sACN.

Download page only talks about DMX?

neilric99

Full time elf
Martin, that was a great light and video production that you did.
This consumer market is growing in the use of RGB led pixels in megatrees, building outline, matrixs and does need form of sequencer such as LightFactory that as the features the shows to a new level. my show this last year only got to 18 Universe, and I expect to be adding more sequenced video and using sACN and ART-NET based controllers.
I understand how the 'pro' market that you normally operate is different to the consumer market as we dont have the same sort of budget avaiable. If you can come up with the business plan within LightFactory to satisfy the consumer who is using large Universe counts then I am feel positive from the feedback I have seen that at the right price the market for you is viable.
Neil

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
msearancke said:
This is new territory for me as I really had no idea that this market existed outside of the big budget shows like the one in the video. Essentially this offer is about finding out how big the consumer market is for the software. The bigger the market the lower the cost of the software. In professional lighting 10+ universe shows is still not that common and so we do not sell a lot of these large universe count systems and the price reflects that.

Martin Searancke
Dream Solutions Ltd
Auckland, New Zealand
(programmer for the show in the video and also the developer of LightFactory)

Martin

Firstly Welcome to ACL.

Two years ago the consumer market would have been limited to a few hardy soles living on the edge, even the 2011 season the absolute numbers of people with more than say 10 universes would have been few, however this year the take up of Pixel based RGB lighting is exploding.
Even complete novices are looking at say 1000 RGB Pixels resulting in 3000 channels and the need for at least 6 Universes.
The ready availability of affordable (cheap really) Pixel controllers that accept sACN (E1.31 to us) is making this easier.
For example the latest 2 Port Pixel controller from J1SYS with sACN input will accept/process 8 full universes of data.

My personal show in 2010 used 20 universes over sACN and 2 U via USB DMX
2011 seen this grow to 24 Universe over sACN and 2 via USB DMX
The 2012 planning is estimated to be 7k+ Pixels, 20,000 Channels spread over about 50 Universe all via sACN
I'm not the largest but likely in the top few this year.

I've had the local Pro Lighting guys out two years running that have been gob smacked at the pure universe count to run a "chrismas light show"

I believe you have a great oppurtunity here and would love to discuss this further with you via skype if that is possible, for the potential benifit of all members. I have some ideas on making a christmas lighting community version for want of a better term.

AussiePhil
Owner ACL

magii

Apprentice elf
Will there be any chance to upgrade if we wanted a smaller package to start? 100 Universes is way more than I need as a beginner and it goes pretty quick once you've been around a while. $500 for 100 universes is an exceptional deal, but it's a lot of money and more than I need. Now, $125 for 25 universes and I would jump on it without a thought.

neilric99

Full time elf
I would suspect that LF make their money on selling a version of Lightfactory, the Universe count is only a licensing issue and the deal that has been put forth is basically a basic version with near unlimited Universe support. I also suspect that some tweaking can be done in the licensing to water it down somewhat to make it do what we need without the bells and whistles that the Pro community require. or even provide different features at a higher price. The $500 is an excellent price point even for 10 Universe usage which you are likely wanting increase ove time.
In the Pro worlds I can see that LF can easily charge more for more Universe support as the usage is going to different with a different size of show and budget, just like our community, we spend more and more on pixels and controllers and still expect the software cost to be free (or next to) no matter what we do.

Timon

Apprentice elf
Martin,

I'm just a newbe at this and this year I hope to do my first show. Already the pixel counts high as to be daunting so a good set of tools is a must. The one thing I will say is that guys on this forum, and also the one on several of the other ones, are great at supporting new users. If you decide to work with this market you'll fine that the members will be yet another support arm for you as they're great at support each other.

Now let me download the program and start messing around. :D