Light spacing

Brett82

New elf
Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been dealt with. I had a look through previous posts, but may have missed it. What's a good spacing for lights around the base of a mega tree? I'm looking at a 5.0m high x 2.5m dia. tree.

Also, does anyone have a part static part controlled display? I was hoping convert my static display from previous years to a controlled one, but I think time is going to beat me. My options are to have a mega tree, a couple of mini trees and maybe some leaping arches controlled and the rest of the house, yard and driveway static or leave them static this year and try for all controlled next year.

I appreciate an opinions and input.

Thanks guys.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Brett, in terms of your display, controlled and static will work fine together. People just love whatever lights you have. If you have a mega tree, people probably won't even notice the other lights. A controlled mega tree can be pretty impressive and that's what people will remember. At the end of the day, the average viewer is just there to see lights. They are not there to be a light critic, it's Christmas and they will be in a good mood so they will love whatever you put up and they will appreciate the effort you go to.

I don't have any experience in terms of light spacing but I have just bought a second hand mega tree about the same size as you are planning. It has 48 strings of lights around the base. I think you could get away with less than this. The other thing is if the budget doesn't permit it this year then you could do half a mega tree this year and add lights to expand it to the full circle next year. If you don't have a position where most sides of the tree can be seen then it may only be worth doing a 180 or 270 tree anyway. Something to think about anyway.