Lighting issues with WS2812B 5V pixel strips

I'm hoping someone with more experience may be able to provide some assistance/advice.

I've currently got two functioning strips of WS2812B 5V LEDS with power injection at every 101 pixels.

I fried one strip of pixels whilst soldering yesterday so the WAF is dropping fast with the "wouldn't it have been quicker and less expensive to buy the rope light from Bunnings?" harder to ward off.

The issue I have now is despite the power injection it seems that the data line may need a boost as the 50 pixels required across the top is only being half lit when connected to the "functioning strip" on the right column, but it is lighting up as expected if I connect it up to my pixel tester.

I've hooked up a multimeter to each of the pigtails (including the injection points) to check the connectivity and all appear to be ok.

Instead of using a null pixel; I've used a logic level shifter to shift from 3.3v to 5v from the esp8266 running WLED. For some reason the data signal didn't work when I ran it via the Power8 distribution board but not sure if that's related to the half-lit strip issue?

I've included a cross-sectional diagram (in millimetres) below of how I'm trying to get it to function but I'm at a loss as to why it's not lighting up despite adding the power injection?

IMG_1086.JPGCapture.PNGCapture2.PNG

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
Have you entered the correct amount of pixels in WLED?

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
When you say " half lit" do you mean the brightness is down and your getting pink instead of white? Or, you've only got 25x pixels it of 50 lit. And what do the spreadsheet drawings represent, is that your roof/gutter line?

Dreamin

Full time elf
Sounds like a configuration issue in WLED to me as well. If they test ok with a pixel tester, the issue is with the controller most likely. I run strip on my roof line and it's 158 pixels and now issues (just power injected at the other end running 30%. Can you share some WLED screenshots? Or zoom room might be the go if anyone on there has WLED experience.

When you say " half lit" do you mean the brightness is down and your getting pink instead of white? Or, you've only got 25x pixels it of 50 lit. And what do the spreadsheet drawings represent, is that your roof/gutter line?
Hi MAZMick, by half-lit I meant that approximately 25 of the 50 pixel run are lighting up at all. Yeah my diagram isn't the greatest, I might need to look into something like LucidChart which seems popular around here. The diagram is is meant to represent the wire run from the control box behind the garage door to the two columns at the front porch. That is,

I had tried to do it as one long strip with additional wiring soldered in for the bends but ended up frying a bunch of strip so I've stuck with using pigtails to connect each section.

Total distance from control box to the first strip is 5620+260mm of 14AWG 3 core cable.
First strip run is 2200mm so 132 pixels top to bottom as shown by the arrow.
A non pixel run between the male and female pigtail make up the 395mm along the bottom and the next 2200mm pixel strip run bottom to top
Power injection after each 100 pixels. I then have female pigtail on the end to run the strip for the 840mm run down to the other column.

I'll try and take some photos to better explain it but hope that helps!

BBQNinja

New elf
Sounds like a configuration issue in WLED to me as well. If they test ok with a pixel tester, the issue is with the controller most likely. I run strip on my roof line and it's 158 pixels and now issues (just power injected at the other end running 30%. Can you share some WLED screenshots? Or zoom room might be the go if anyone on there has WLED experience.
Have to agree it sounds like controller config. I ran my whole first show with D1 mini's on WLED with 300+ pixels on some (I'm sure it supports way more).
I'm not familiar with the power8 and a bit hard to see, but it looks like you were using the built-in null buffer along with your logic level shifter. Not sure how that would function.

Just wanted to provide an update in case anyone else experiences a similar issue.

I ended up getting the strip working after disabling and re-enabling the brightness limiter option in WLED which, allowed the whole strip to light up as expected. I was then able to run a second WLED instance on an D1 Mini to control the retro-fitted candy canes.
I'm hoping to build on this setup next year and make some of the solar/dumb lights smart so I can integrate them into a sequence.

Cheers and hope all have a safe and Happy New Year!

Attachments

• IMG_1156.JPG
    IMG_1156.JPG
    647.4 KB · Views: 9

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
I just saw this for the first time, but did you turn off the voltage limiter in WLED? It defaults to something like 850ma that can be used unless it is adjusted. That could also be a reason why not all of the lights worked properly.

Dean