Lights continually twinkle

David_K

Full time elf
Hi Guys,
I am having a huge problem with my mega tree and matrix both constructed with
IP68 LPD6803 led dream color strip,DC12V input;can be used in the water;30leds/m;10pcs IC/m strips. I purchased the strip last year but never got to run my show I did have both the tree and matrix working briefly last year but there were hiccups such as sections of lights staying on after a sequence played, some lights not coming on when turned on but then next time you turn them on they come on still having that problem.

This time around all I get is a constant twinkle effect when I power up, I tried to attached a short video of what is happening but would not accept that type of file. The best description of what is happening is like the lights are doing a fast crazed twinkle If you disconnect either clk or dat cable it stops lights stay on constantly though. I am at a loss as I have tried many things such as checking the wiring, checking all the output info. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Re: Problem with IP68 LPD6803 led dream color strip

I'm off to get better glasses first

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator

Hi David. Twinkleing is usually the wrong protocol selected for the strip timings. What controller are they attached too?

David_K

Full time elf

Hi superman, controller is jsys ECG_p2, sorry about the small font didn't realise it was so small.

David_K

Full time elf

I would also like to add that I just realised when I tested my arches a few days back it was fine and made with the same strip. Since then we had to format the computer so something has changed but Im not too sure what hopefully this might shed some light on the problem.

i have also found that the problem continues even when you disable the Ethernet, but the lights stop flickering or twinkling if you unplug it. This problem is affecting all strings not just lpd6803

I also forgot to mention that I am running win8 intel(R) core(TM)i3-3220 cpu @3.30GHz 3.30GHz
RAM 8GB
64bit operating system

David_K

Full time elf
Problem solved thanks to Benzor!! Cannot believe I was so stupid, when I was testing my lights prior to formatting the computer I was running both the lights and the controller from one 350W power supply all negatives connected.

After I had to format my computer I connected my controller to a single power supply and the lights to the 350W someone forgot to connect the negatives together. :unsure:

Thank you again Ben for going through every possible thing known to man for about 2.5 hours with me.

No common ground between power supplies