Lights, Music, Magic - Flood Lights

djohnson1810

Apprentice elf
This will be my second year using RGB. My first year was some flood lights with 3 channel controllers. This year I would like to use some smart pixels, specifically the ones from Lights, Music, Magic. I really liked the way the lights worked in this video:https://vimeo.com/22643691#

I have been corresponding via email with them and they tell me that I do not need a pixel controller for this. This confuses me as everything I have read discusses the use of pixel controllers (sending commands to the ic chips) when using smart pixels. I have asked them to explain this but their reply was simply that you don't need one.

So how does this work? Do some smart pixels need controllers and others don't? How would it work without one? I have got most of my information from the very excellent primer "The AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator

nato595

Let's do this!
I don't believe the house in your sample video uses smart pixels, I think, as Eddy said, it is using dumb DMX floods.
You are correct though in that you will need pixel controllers to use smart pixels. Whether it is a traditional pixel controller or a DMX-SPI decoder, or other, those are your options, but the point is that you could accomplish what this video shows without using smart pixels. Of course pixels are still an option and would give you even more effect... but also cost more money.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You wont get this effect using pixel strip because the light bars are using much higher wattage LEDs with a much tighter light beam angle than what is used in pixels, so if you want this effect then its using these floods that i previously mentioned will do the trick.

The guy who did this originally had a thread somewhere explaining what he had used. But a nice effect without having to use any pixels

djohnson1810

Apprentice elf
Yes, now that I am looking at the video again, I agree they are simple RGB floods.

4 Channels? What does the 4th do?

I will search for the thread discussing how this was done, but if anyone else knows of any other videos or informational threads on these lights please post them.

Thanks for everyones help.