lightshowpi overrides.cfg

Wayne Smith

New elf
Hi all,

I am trying to transmit my playlist over a fm frequency and was wondering if anyone else has done this using a raspberrypi? I am able to find what I think is the section I need to modify for this to happen in the overrides.cfg file.
[fm]
# By setting fm to true it will output the fm single on port 4
# otherwise will result in output through the line out port
# frequency is the fm channel to play on
fm = False
frequency = 100.1

I believe if I change False to True I should be able to broadcast on the said frequency. I have my pi configured to play my playlist on start up with False being on and that works I can hear my playlist via audio jack playing. However if I change the False to True save and reboot I cant hear anything on the tuned frequency and yes I have a wire antenna connected to pin 4 on my pi.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong

Kitman

Full time elf
I experimented with using the raspberry pi as an FM transmitter and to be 100% honest I gave up. It never ended up working correctly.

I did manage to get it to broadcast over FM, however, the quality was terrible, I could actually here electronic noise over the top of the music, then for no reason it would stop broadcasting, music kept playing from the audio jack but the FM just died, I restarted the FM job and it would sometimes start again and sometimes it wouldn't. I even looked at using an add-on device for the FM transmission and that also did not yield very promising results.

My advice is to give up on it, you are going to get much better results and less frustration buying an FM transmitter than trying to get the pi to do something it doesn't do well.

I did a lot of research on this and it seemed to work best on a pi B+ but I don't have one of those to test it with, however with the issues I had with the pi 2 I don't think it would be any better.