Limits imposed by Council?

richardd

Full time elf
G’day all
I have a question, while I have not have this problem I was wondering does anyone know of a council that limited the time one can have their lights up / on??? I know there was the gentleman in Perth (message on hold) that had some issues and had to turn them off for a while but was wondering if anyone had issues with their council.
Rich

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
richardd said:
G’day all
I have a question, while I have not have this problem I was wondering does anyone know of a council that limited the time one can have their lights up / on??? I know there was the gentleman in Perth (message on hold) that had some issues and had to turn them off for a while but was wondering if anyone had issues with their council.
Rich

I've not heard of anything imposed by a council and I've even seen a number of houses around me leave their lights up for weeks or months in the case of one house, into the new year. (Must be hard to pack up only 2 light strings!) I personally wouldn't leave any of my lights up that long as I don't want them to deteriorate in the weather.
As for the Perth MOH issue, I don't think it was a council issue, but for the sake of the forum :$

JPB

Full time elf
One of my personal humbugs is people that leave their lights up too long so the grump in me would be happy if the council enforced limits.
You have got two weeks from your last show to get your lights taken down or else :mad:

Jon

MarcD

Full time elf
We pulled most of our lights down on the first weekend of 2013, but I can't get up on the roof, so I have to rely on my two sons and they seem to have gone MIA. They were supposed to come around last Sunday. I'm sure we're the laughing stock of the neighbourhood.

kane

Dedicated elf
richardd said:

It'd be a very brave council to try and dictate this. Given pretty much everyone hates councils, they really don't need additional reasons to hate them.

Kim (Messages on Hold guy) was not shutdown by the council - he himself decided to shut it down after his huge marketing campain was successful and resulted in too many people turning up.

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
Kane said:
Kim (Messages on Hold guy)

Maybe we can revise the ACL rules to add "Posts made about (or alluding to) MOH and/or it's staff will result in the loss of your posting privilege for one month. The only exception is: if you are the muppet in that ran the MOH campaign, we would love to let you know what we think about you, or more specifically you Christmas lights."

Too far?

But on topic, I know some of our US members have had to deal with councils and HOA, what worked for them?

magii

Apprentice elf
We moved. I never had any display issues with the neighborhood, most of them were on board. Had one that really thought it was a competition and that was kind of funny. Really, it was the other 10 months out of the year that living in an HOA was hell.

barbotte

Apprentice elf
well m meteor light are still on as my arch above my driveway and they will stay on until the snow is off ... as it is righ now -28 celcius and there is no way on hell i am climbing a later to remove them and the rest of my display is still all frozen to the ground lol
cheer

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Kane said:
richardd said:

It'd be a very brave council to try and dictate this. Given pretty much everyone hates councils, they really don't need additional reasons to hate them.

Kim (Messages on Hold guy) was not shutdown by the council - he himself decided to shut it down after his huge marketing campain was successful and resulted in too many people turning up.

I herd the council shut him down after they found out it was a advertising stunt for his business an closed it down due to public safety an also cause they considered his display not a personal one..

i guess there is probably many rumors going around.. an no-one will ever know the truth, cause kim wont say.

Ive had the Council bother me in 2011 cause i had a flood light in the tree outside my yard, i removed that an things were fine

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I had the police called on me several times last season, and everytime the police came they were happy to get the job so they could watch the lights. It then made me get a signed petition from my whole street of 20 odd houses to show that the houses affected were in support of the display, i got everyones signiture. Then a couple of days before Christmas the police turned up again, this time i approched them with my signed petition to show that the complaint wasnt even coming from the people effected, they said dont worry because they hadnt been called and I was the talk of the station so they decided to come for a look. While i was talking to them the grinch who had been calling the police on me came out yelling and abusing me and demanding the police do something, the police stayed for 1/2 hour to sort it out and in that whole time only 2 cars came up the street that the grinch lived in, the police were amazed at this womans behavior and actually suggested next year to come down the police station and they may be able to send some resources out to help during the busy periods. I know council wont have an issue because i have all the signitures i need to support my display.

I think council may step in if you have a majority in your street complaining

z_special

Full time elf
It is so nice that you met the grinch, it woudl be unfortunate if someones children egged her house....Did i say that no it was my innner voice :eek: