Looking for a P10 Panel Receiver That Supports E1.31

corfoto4

Apprentice elf
Hello,

I'm looking into creating a small display using P10 panels. However, I cannot find much information on integrating this display into FPP and xLights. I know that Colorlight receivers can be directly connected to a Raspberri Pi's eth0 interface and the 'sender' can be configured there. My questions are:

1. Can I use a USB Ethernet adapter to connect a Colorlight receiver to the Raspberri Pi?
2. Is there a way to have multiple small P10 displays controlled by the Raspberri P1?
3. Is there a different P10 controller that works like a falcon controller/ESP that can take E1.31 data and output it to the display?
4. Can an ESP32 be configured or used in any way, shape or form to control or act as a sender card or directly control a P10 display?
5. Is it worth looking into using a DMX controller to control P10 displays? (I.e. E1.31 data is sent to DMX controller (with DMX data) to then be sent to a receiver or the P10 display).

My aim is to have a small display connected wirelessly to my show network. The display is far away from my physically wired show network and my FPP master. I know that I can create FPP slaves, however, there is no stock of Raspberri Pis anywhere and they are a bit expensive. I already own a number of ESP32s and have some old computer hardware available to me. Note: The P10 receiving card does not have to have wifi built into it. I can bend the show network to work around anything. My aim is to be able to have a modular show using the show network as the backbone (I.e. all data for the show must travel over the network to reach its destination).
Any help will be very much appreciated. Thank You!

darylc

404 darylc not found
Your options are pretty much:
  • FPP on Beagle Bone Black + Octoscroller
  • FPP on Pi + Colorlight receiver
  • xschedule on PC + plugin + colorlight receiver,
  • xschedule on PC or FPP on Pi, HDMI out into a colorlight sender + receiver combo
  • or maybe https://experiencelights.com/pixel2p10/ if you just want to do 1 or 2 panels.

No ESP options that I've ever heard of.

Last edited:

corfoto4

Apprentice elf
Your options are pretty much:
  • FPP on Beagle Bone Black + Octoscroller
  • FPP on Pi + Colorlight
  • xschedule on PC + plugin + colorlight,
  • xschedule on PC or FPP on Pi, HDMI out into a colorlight sender + receiver combo
  • or maybe https://experiencelights.com/pixel2p10/ if you just want to do 1 or 2 panels.

No ESP options that I've ever heard of.
Do you know if there is a way to add an eth1 interface on a Raspberri pi (through an adapter or other means)?
It seems as though FPP supports multiple interfaces.

darylc

404 darylc not found
yes you can if you use a linux supported USB to ethernet adapter that doesn't need a special driver. Must also be Gigabit, not 100M

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I would suggest FPP + Pi + Gig USB Ethernet adapter + Colorlight card/s, had no problems setting it up even though I had never done it before, relatively simple if you follow the many guides available so long as you have the configuration for the panels you are using.

corfoto4

Apprentice elf
I would suggest FPP + Pi + Gig USB Ethernet adapter + Colorlight card/s, had no problems setting it up even though I had never done it before, relatively simple if you follow the many guides available so long as you have the configuration for the panels you are using.
Do you have any recommended brands? Or is there a certain type of adapter that I would be able to get (other than the required 1Gig speed)?

corfoto4

Apprentice elf
Thank you. One final question is there a way to connect to Colorlight wirelessly?
I.e. FPP --> Ethernet Adapter --> Ethernet Cable --> Wireless Transmiter Device |~~~~~| Wireless Receiver Device --> Etherent cable --> Colorlight card.
( |~~~~~| = Wireless Connection)

My show network already runs on wireless but obviously, FPP needs a direct connection to the Colorlight card. Is there a way to do this wirelessly?

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
If you wanted to make it wireless, I would put a wireless adapter onto the device running FPP and connect to that instead. I promise that you will run into issues if you wanted to transmit the data wirelessly to the panels from the FPP instance.
Use the master/slave mode feature of FPP, have the sequences installed on both FPP instances.