Looking for advice on a standalone controller to build a small rgb string tree for a newbie

speederbrad95

New elf
I have a frame for a string light tree (about 1.5- 2m from memory) that i would like to re light using rgb pixels and learn to program some basic sequences to run on a loop, as part of a conventional display. I have seen relatively cheap sd card based t-1000s s type controllers on aliexpress, but i don't know where to start.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
An ESP32 based system running WLED is usually my first suggestion.
WLED has a ton of options to control it standalone.
But is totally viable to run in a full animated show if you want to grow and expand from there.

You can do it with just a ESP32 if you like (See this recent thread for someone doing that with strip).

I usually try and recommend one of the WLED controllers - that expand the base board with fuses, logic shifters, etc.
SmartAlec has a 5V only board here. A lot of people (myself included) came into some of this from the Home Automation world -- and the Dig-quad is often recommended there (I strongly recommend it as well). One of those is a much stronger foundation than most of the aliexpress options.