WS2815 and 12volt

Tarecco

New elf
Hi,

im new here and very desperate, I’m trying to connect my BTF lighting WS2815 with meanwell PS 12V 12.5amp but the leds not turning on. I tried a different PS with 50amp and still the same no light. also I used a second 2815, same result. What I’m doing wrong?

thanks

Tarecco

New elf
This my controller, ESP32. Let me know if you need more pictures or information. Thank you
IMG_3394.jpeg

Attachments

• 505C8D76-E66E-4993-AA0D-23C525ACB8ED.jpeg
    505C8D76-E66E-4993-AA0D-23C525ACB8ED.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Seems you're coming directly from the GPIO pin from an ESP, and by assumption assume you are using WLED?
Have you configured the controller outputs to the correct GPIO pins, and confirmed you have the correct GPIO pin on the board connected to the LEDs?
You may require a level shifter, leds need 5v data signals not 3.3v which is what the GPIO pins put out.

Edit: I also see you are using a solderless connector, ditch that and solder the wires in, those things are horrible for connections and give numerous problems (such as what you are seeing now)

Edit 2: Is that breakout board for your ESP rated for 12v input on the terminals you've connected to? Usually they are 5v and 3.3v input and have a special input for 12v sources.

Tarecco

New elf
Seems you're coming directly from the GPIO pin from an ESP, and by assumption assume you are using WLED?
Have you configured the controller outputs to the correct GPIO pins, and confirmed you have the correct GPIO pin on the board connected to the LEDs?
You may require a level shifter, leds need 5v data signals not 3.3v which is what the GPIO pins put out.

Edit: I also see you are using a solderless connector, ditch that and solder the wires in, those things are horrible for connections and give numerous problems (such as what you are seeing now)
Correct, I’m using WLED controller, I’m using GPIO4 and changed on the controller too. LED needs 12V and not 5V and they don’t need level shifter according to BTF.

DarkwinX

Full time elf
@Tarecco another contributing factor may be that the ESP32 is 5V powered not 12V. Perhaps try powering it via a USB wall charger instead of the 12V supply.

Tarecco

New elf
@Tarecco another contributing factor may be that the ESP32 is 5V powered not 12V. Perhaps try powering it via a USB wall charger instead of the 12V supply.
I have done that and I have just used a new controller out of the box.. changed some settings, still no light or any life on the lights.

Tarecco

New elf

Edit 2: Is that breakout board for your ESP rated for 12v input on the terminals you've connected to? Usually they are 5v and 3.3v input and have a special input for 12v sources.
lol my brain is fried right now.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Are you connecting the Data to the GPIO and the Ground to the ESP, as well as the +12V and Ground to the external power supply? It's imperative that both grounds are connected.