Looking for advice on controller to use for new MegaTree

joeengler

Apprentice elf
I'm building a new MegaTree this year, using 2801 pixels from Ray, I have 50 strands of 50 Pixels that can be used for the tree. I'm looking for ideas on the best length for the strings. I was thiking about making them 42 long.
On the controllers, last year I buit a e680 and it did not seem to work to well for me. I'm sure it is something I did not the design. I have been thinking about using the ECG-P12 or E681's to control the tree.

Looking for pro's and con of each arrangement and how many controllers I would need.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The ECG-P12R can give upto 12 universes of lights. Even if you just used 2 strings per output (up then back down) you will be able to get 24 strings per ECG-P12R, if you use 3 strings per output you could get 36 strings per output (figures are based on a 50 pixel string)

With the E68x the maximum amount of strings you can use is 16 per unit (4 universes)

so based on that

2 x ECG-P12R with 2 strings per output would give you 48 strings

or 3 x e68x will give you 48 strings.

Its not hard to work out what approach gives you better value

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
i certainly wouldn't cut the strings down to 42.... just make the tree higher.

i'd also go to 48 strings and keep 2 as spares or just re-use then.

2xp12r's would be the best value,

Suppling power will be the next challenge

Phil

joeengler

Apprentice elf
Thanks,

I agree keeping them at 50 and making the tree taller would be best. I'll will have to hurry up and order 2 of the ECG-12r.

For power I have 4 5 volt 350watt power supplies that've used for this project

Skunberg

Full time elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
(figures are based on a 50 pixel string)
With the E68x the maximum amount of strings you can use is 16 per unit (4 universes)

The E681 only does 680 pixels. Your 16 strings of 50 equals 800 so that won't work.
But you can run up to 680 on a input, of course they would need to be the same chip and power injection as the string required. In kit form the $109 US plus shipping is hard to beat to get you into pixels. It supports more chip types and wonderful dimming for those with 6803 pixels. Yes for twice the money (not apples to apples, kit vs built) you get more pixels if your chip is supported which the most common ones are but not yet the 2811 Correct?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Skunberg said:
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
(figures are based on a 50 pixel string)

The E681 only does 680 pixels. Your 16 strings of 50 equals 800 so that won't work.
But you can run up to 680 on a input, of course they would need to be the same chip and power injection as the string required. In kit form the $109 US plus shipping is hard to beat to get you into pixels. It supports more chip types and wonderful dimming for those with 6803 pixels. Yes for twice the money (not apples to apples, kit vs built) you get more pixels if your chip is supported which the most common ones are but not yet the 2811 Correct?

Yes you are correct there, an oversight by me, thanks for correcting me.

So now that would mean for 48 strings of 50 pixels he would require 4 x E681 so even in kit form the value is still well and truely in the favour of the ECG-P12R, that equation would be closer if using 42 pixels per string but the difference is only about $13 in favour of the e681 between 3 x E681 in kit form and 2 x ECG-P12R fully built and tested.

As far as the dimming curve and the pixel support, these only become factors if you were going to take advantage of these features, otherwise they mean nothing in the final choice.

With 50 pixels per string

E681 kit method
4 x $109 = $436.00

ECG-P12R built and tested method
2 x $170 = $340.00

With 42 pixels per string

E681 kit method
3 x $109 = $327.00

ECG-P12R built and tested method
2 x $170 = $340.00

The 2811 is not currently supported with the ECG but will definetly be supported after the release of the new ECG series of controllers. The 2811 will work with the ECG controllers using the 1804 code but there is a flickering issue, its good enough for testing but not good enough for a show.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
SK

I've been preaching that until we have released firmware for the ECG series that supports 2811 then the answer is, 1804 works with some flicker. I have personally seen the 2811 working on Ed's hardware though.

There's quite a few options to get into pixels cheaply coming onto the market.

a uDCG-P2, 2 port DMX unit assembled $45
a ECG-P2, a 2 port E131 device that can drive up to 680 pixels on each port will be only $65

People looking at pixels really should look at what types have the greatest hardware support.

I know a lot of people enjoy building hardware and the E68x series fulfils that need but even in kit form it is no longer the economic choice to use.

However as i've said with software "use the hardware that meets your requirements".

Cheers
Phil