Looking for cheap china power supplys

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Hi there,
I know alot of the long term people in the group now use MeanWell power supplys. (Smart Choice by the way)
But Im a tight ass with money.
Anyone Got any working China Cheapies laying around that they would like to get rid of?
I could just order new china cheapies, but thought i would see what people have, and want to get rid of first.
Thanks

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I've sometimes managed to pick up server power supplies on online auctions/stores for cheaper than the China power supplies, and they actually give their rated current output without kicking up a stink!

SmartAlecLights

I've sometimes managed to pick up server power supplies on online auctions/stores for cheaper than the China power supplies, and they actually give their rated current output without kicking up a stink!
Ive looked at that path before, but the china cheapies are just something i know an have used in the past.

Rickras85

Apprentice elf
Hi there,
I know alot of the long term people in the group now use MeanWell power supplys. (Smart Choice by the way)
But Im a tight ass with money.
Anyone Got any working China Cheapies laying around that they would like to get rid of?
I could just order new china cheapies, but thought i would see what people have, and want to get rid of first.
Thanks

were you after 5v or 12v Chinese supplies. I have a few located in Brisbane

SmartAlecLights

ray sells the 5v 300w ones for like $17 each , But postage is now also $20 each.
This allows people to get rid of them, cause they have moved onto meanwell supplies.

SmartAlecLights

what's the advantage of meanwell over cheap?
Main one..
Your covered by insurance when the power supply burns down your house.

Sometimes they just fail for the fun of it.

Certain models share the load between multi-supplies.

There are other reasons as well,
I just cant remember them off the top of my head.

(80% less chance of things just failing with a quality built meanwell supply)

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
what's the advantage of meanwell over cheap?
Meanwell actually meet their output rating..
Cheap noname supplies in my experience don't even get near halfway in most cases before they start hiccupping.
10A 5v supply should have been able to run 6A worth of leds, would work fine red/green/blue etc, start adding red+green, it would die and come back online a second later.. it wouldn't even try white.

Oh, and Meanwell supply cooling fans actually come on when they're warm, rather than all the time when power is applied.