Looking For Lights

Electricbuzz

New elf
Hi,
I just recently came across this craze and Iv been watching heaps of vids and posts and looking to have a little setup to test out xlights software .. Anyone have any recommendations on what kit to purchase??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
hi
Welcome to the Madhouse... you've picked a busy time to ask questions, most of us are on the roof putting up our lights for the 1 dec turn on..
as for what kit? it's a bit like asking what kind of car do I buy? it all depends on what you need and what you like and what you can afford both it time and money.
My suggestion at this late stage is download and read the 101 manual, check out everyone else's displays and plan for next year.
you don't need any hardware to use xlights as it will show you your sequencing on screen.
We buy most of our stuff direct from China and at this time of the year you can expect some serious delays. If you really must have something to play with, try a Pixlite controller and some strip, you might be able to source the strip from Oz.

Cheers
Fing

i13

Dedicated elf
I agree with Fing. You're not going to get computer controlled lights up and running in time for this season. I buy what I need from a variety of places which include China, Australian businesses that post things and local shops.

Start by describing and listing the things that you want your display to include and we'll help you achieve that. Once you have a thorough understanding of what you need, post your first shopping list on the forums and get feedback.

JPB

Full time elf
You will possibly laugh at this but start in February.
It will take you a while to get your head around the different hardware options and making them all play nicely and then sequencing takes a loong time.
I try and have all my hardware completed by the end of September and my sequences done by the end of October. Then i have a month to fine tune and can have it all installed and tested by now.
And dont try and match everyone else in year 1, we all started small and added each year.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk