Looking for simple security system

ShellNZ

Senior elf
This year I would like to have a couple of security cameras keeping an eye on everything out front.

How does this look?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/security-locks-alarms/security-cameras/cctv/auction-793220485.htm

Im looking for something pretty simple that wont mess with my network of lighting at all.

Only need 2 cameras and only really need to see 15-20m.

I would like to get from NZ so it has good warranty and is replaceable easily. There are some much better ones here in NZ but well over $1000, dont mind paying a bit more than the above one but not a whole lot more e.g stay under $600. Would like to buy off that site if possible.

mellowcouple

Full time elf
I have a similar system Shell and it works fine. Mine is the Swann Compact Security System, cost $400 aussie and the quality is good.

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
Mine is a bit more complex than most... I did do some research and learned a few things along the way.
It all comes down to how much you value what you want to protect and how much you want to spend to protect it.

I kept the following things in mind when searching for mine

1. Centralized robust power supply. (this needed to power up to 8 cameras)
2. DVR must have 16 channels, have real time playback and D1 quality, also allows for growth. DVR also has alarm triggers, Sound triggers and switch trip triggers.
3. Cameras need to have OSD, this allows you to do independent camera setup
4. The cameras also had some controls I could do under the camera itself like set the lense distance, focus... etc.
5. PTZ - with Auto tracking, I bought one of these and set it up to watch and track movement. (mostly I capture License plate info :D )
6. Cables come standard at 30 Meters (100 feet), most are not nearly long enough to cross the house
7. Extra storage. If you are constantly recording you need space. I set mine up to record only if there is movement.
8. Still cameras need good Daytime and night time quality vision
9. Internet connection.
10. iPAD/iPhone Apps

I am sure there is more..but can't think of it at the moment

-Blu

scamper

Dedicated elf
I just got my security cameras going, I got them from aliexpress as they were a lot cheaper (I am a bit of a tightarse)
I originally bought one locally but it didn't do what it said it would and when I did some research, all of the feedback said the same.
To cut to the chase.
What I ended up getting was a NVR 4 camera kit.
It turns out that I could have just got the cameras and didn't even need to get the box as everything runs through the network and can record onto my home pc.
I can also view it on my mobile / tablet (which makes it easy to setup)
It will send me an email alert (on my phone) if there is any movement and also start recording or take snapshots.
The best thing is all you need is power as it is wireless.
So what I am saying, is if you have a wireless network and find a good NVR camera, that will work well.
I did buy a cheap NVR camera off ebay a while back and got what I paid for though, so be wary.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Thanks all

Didnt realise Bunnings had them :)

I could just buy some cameras as I have a Synology NAS that I can record to, however I would like to keep this separate.

Will go and have a look at Bunnings today.

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
We had a couple of wireless cameras but it played havoc with the wifi . Have since gone to Ozspy and got a 4 camera system with 500G hard drive.. Was under $600. Continual recording for about 20 days.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Shell, looks like buying cameras is like buying lights. A plan is hatched with a budget in mind, and then the budget flies out the window with the first purchase.

MAmedia

New elf
Seems you're getting prepared seriously this year haha. Best of luck ;)