Looking to purchase my first pixel string - Please help...

luehmans

New elf
Thank you all for the input, I'm going to try and get in contact darylc to see if I can get the falcon through him otherwise I might have to try a different controller.

We are doing a very small display around a lego frame as a test for how we go with programing etc, hence the idea to use 5vdc non waterproof rather than 12vdc which I would use outside on our house Christmas display. if we are successful in programming and syncing with the small 7 channel display then the controller will be the one used for our light display this year and I will find a much cheaper alternative to light up the lego display for the long term that didn't require programming etc. I will purchase a separate 5vdc supply for the internal display rather than dual voltage as advised.

With the internal display I decided the higher resolution would be a bit better but maybe after everyones opinion that 60/m is extreme we might just go with 30/m as it is just a novelty thing in the lounge room so doesn't need to be blindingly bright. I will check out Ray Wus range and see if he has something similar...

I plan on buying the "Cadillac" of controllers as I don't want to try something and find out I cant do it on our controller, spend a couple of extra bucks up front to ensure we have flexibility.

Raspberry is something I am keen to look into for the future but as mentioned it is simply another expense for the time.

When you talk about power injection, with 30/m 12vdc strips how often do you need a power injection?? by this you mean power supply joined in mid strip I assume? so for long length power at each end does not always feed the middle lights sufficiently then which was something I had not considered. Do you simply run a long 2 core along the string and connect it where required or do you run it separately to ensure minimum distance to the injection point?

i13

Dedicated elf
luehmans said:
With the internal display I decided the higher resolution would be a bit better but maybe after everyones opinion that 60/m is extreme we might just go with 30/m as it is just a novelty thing in the lounge room so doesn't need to be blindingly bright. I will check out Ray Wus range and see if he has something similar...
Yes. There is 30 LEDs per metre
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-DC5V-WS2812B-led-pixel-srip-non-waterproof-30pcs-WS2812B-M-with-30pixels-36W-white-pcb/701799_949673318.html

and 60 LEDs per metre
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/4m-DC5V-WS2812B-led-pixel-srip-non-waterproof-60pcs-WS2812B-M-with-60pixels-white-PCB-only/701799_935613197.html
luehmans said:
When you talk about power injection, with 30/m 12vdc strips how often do you need a power injection?? by this you mean power supply joined in mid strip I assume? so for long length power at each end does not always feed the middle lights sufficiently then which was something I had not considered. Do you simply run a long 2 core along the string and connect it where required or do you run it separately to ensure minimum distance to the injection point?
I have found the 12V 30 LED/metre strips to be very good with long distances. I have had 5 metre lengths powered only at one end with no problems. This means that you could have 10 metres if you powered at both ends or in the middle. 10 metres powered at one end doesn't work very well but I haven't thoroughly tested lengths between 5 and 10 metres. Your mileage may vary.

Running 2 core along the length of the strip for power injection should work if the cable is thick enough. You won't need to run it all of the way to the end. Thicker cable lets you have longer distances to the power supply. Running it separately can be more convenient sometimes. For example, a megatree could have a 2-core power cable running along its base ring (or even part way up the tree) to power all of the strings.

Bench testing with the actual lengths of strip and cable that you'll use is a good idea if you're not sure.