LOR and E1.31 Pixel Controller E682

Bokines

New elf
Hi,
I have just joined the Australian Christmas lights site and find it invaluable.
Up until now my display has consisted of mainly LOR products including Colour Cosmic Ribbons.
• CTB16PC x 13
• CCR150 x 24
• LOR ShowTime Software Suite S3 latest update advanced version
• Superstar add-on licensed for 24 channels
This year I wish to venture into the world of RGB LED strips and strings from other suppliers. I have ordered the following from Seasonal Entertainment:-
• E1.31 Pixel Controller E682
• 50ct 12v Round WS2811 Pixels x 16
I am trying to gather as much information on Smart RGB LED's and controlling them. I have read the 101 guide which has been extremely informative.
With the equipment I have purchased from Seasonal Entertainment and the 2 x 350watt power supplies from Ebay, is there any other device I need to run the E682 controller from my LOR S3 software. The version I have I believe now supports E1.31.
I am also a little lost on understanding universes. Do I need to have one Ethernet connection for each universe?
Any assistance anyone can provide is much appreciated.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Hi Bokines and welcome to ACL
It sounds like you need to link us to some pictures and or video as you've been doing a pretty big display.
The LOR S3 advanced which is what I'd say you've got based on the number of controllers that you are using is all you need to run dmx/e1.31 in addition to aall the LOR stuff. The 1 thing that you need to be aware of is that you need the LOR control panel to be open once you start playing with dmx/e1.31 as it will open the "comm listener" program which outputs both the dmx and e1.31. Also if you have lor boards in a sequence and you don't have the dongle/s attached then LOR sequencer will untick the control lights.
The only additional thing that you'll need other than what you've listed is a bit of cat5 cable between your computer and the E682. The 1 cable can run as many universes as any board controls. The E682 does maybe 12 universes. If you were controlling more universes then you'd go through a router and each of the e1.31 would have its own cable from the router to the board.

Paul R

New elf
I bought the same package from seasonal enterntainment and have it up and running with LOR S3. the advice above covers what you need with one exception...I could not get the E682 running with a direct connect from my network port on the computer to the E682...I had to go through a router in-between (at least to access the E682 Web server). I bought a cheap router ($25) to isolate this from my home network.

The E682 will not quite handle 12 universes...it iis more like 4 in Multi-cast and 7 in unicast mode (if I remember correctly). I run mine in unicast in order to have the extra capacity and potentially cut down on network bandwidth utilization. If you do run unicast, you will need to go into the S3 network controls and put the IP address of the E682 in for each universe you are using. This config is set to multicast by default.

Best of luck!

-Paul

Paul R

New elf
You are correct. They have updated their documentation since I received my E682.

from their latest manual :
The E682 presently support up to 7 universes of Multicast SACN channels, which is enough to control nearly 1,200
individual RGB pixels, or up to 12 universes of Unicast SACN or Art-Net, which is enough to control more than 2,000

pixels.

-Paul

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, just stick with it and you will start to understand and what you don't is just a quick post away.