LOR CCR alternative

kane

Dedicated elf
systemdm said:
Dang.....I thought I read somewhere you could use a crossover cable. I already have the USB dongle with the two CTB16PCs. So I would just connect those as I did last year and run a separate network switch for the ECG-P12R? Not sure how to configure the sequencing software to see the different controllers.
Depends on what software you use - the only one I've used (LSP) allows you to add a USB DMX interface, as well as an e1.31 device (which is what the p12r is).

Given you use LOR, you may need to look up the manual or ask the LOR guys as I'm sure it's pretty straightforward.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
systemdm said:
Thanks Kane.

Dang.....I thought I read somewhere you could use a crossover cable. I already have the USB dongle with the two CTB16PCs. So I would just connect those as I did last year and run a separate network switch for the ECG-P12R? Not sure how to configure the sequencing software to see the different controllers.

D-Ray

I think your mixing DMX with E1.31.
E1.31 is DMX over IP so it travels generally on ethernet, but a DMX controller and an E1.31 controller will not connect together. I think the cross over cable you are talking about is for using between your LOR controllers and DMX controllers as described in my previous posts presentation link

Gilrock

Full time elf
Ok I'm ready to play. I got home yesterday and was surprised my order from China was already here...plus my ECG-P12R was here also. I ordered 4 WS2811 strips, 2 power supplies, the P12R, and cables. Everything was from the links in reply #5 of this thread except I ordered the longer cables from reply #11. Oh and I also ordered 2 sets of 20 WS2811 RGB modules to hopefully use for coro canes. I can see I need to go buy a few things after work. Looks like I'll need to go buy some power pigtails to run the power supply, a heat shrink gun, and some heat shrink tubing.

I had my fingers crossed about the China order because I didn't follow the steps I kept seeing around here after I had ordered. I never actually contacted Ray Wu. I just clicked on what I wanted in the store and at first I thought shipping would be astronomical but once you put it in the cart and then select the same carrier for all items the shipping costs actually reduce automatically.

I wanted more RGB strips than this but I wanted to just get a few first to make sure this whole deal is working before I sunk a ton of money into it.

Gil

Gilrock

Full time elf
Success!!! Got the first string lit up with the test pattern. At first I connected everything up power it on in test mode and nothing. So I'm like...alright...guess I'll go look things up in Eddy's manual. Got a laptop connected to the P12R and saw that none of the outputs are active so I activated one and entered the settings. Powered cycled into test mode and viola...the string lit up. I gotta say this was so much more exciting than first powering up a CCR. I picked up a sweet used heat gun for $10 US from a local electronics outlet. So all my connections to the string are sealed really nice with a larger one sealing over top of all 3 wires.
By the way the only difference I ran into from the manual is the password to connect to the card wasn't working so I left the username as admin and blanked out the password and it worked.
Gil

systemdm

New elf
Ok...let me try this again...I don't know if 'A' configuration will work, but thought I would ask. I think 'B' configuration will work. I used the diagram from Fasteddy's AusChristmasLighting_101_Manual_Rev1. Great manual!!

DMX_A.JPG
DMX_B.JPG

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
"B" would be my prefered way to go. I have never been able to get my e131 get to connect directly to a PC without a switch for some reason

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
systemdm said:
Ok...let me try this again...I don't know if 'A' configuration will work, but thought I would ask. I think 'B' configuration will work. I used the diagram from Fasteddy's AusChristmasLighting_101_Manual_Rev1. Great manual!!

Both configurations will work, so if you already have the dongle then there is no real need for a ECG-D2,. You just have to use both DMX and a E1.31 network from your computer. If the dongle is from LOR and your using LOR software with LOR controllers then you dont need the cross over cable and you would best be running your LOR controllers using the LOR communications and then run a seperate network for your E1.31 to connect to your P12. If you only have 1 E1,31 controller then you wont need to use a network switch.