LOR & E1.31 question about sequencing

Streetrodder

New elf
I have used LOR controllers for 5 years and decided to add RGB this year, I purchased the components everyone recommended Meanwell 5V Power Supply, 18 strands of 5V RGB 2811's, and a ECG-P12R to run it, and a network switch. I have the P12R controlling the lights (test sequence) and the IP is set up but I don't totally understand how the LOR will control the P12R, I have 12 LOR controllers but I haven't worked with DMX or E1.31 so I want to know what I need to do in LOR to get it to communicate with the P12R and where I will sequence it, because I think it will be different than typical LOR sequencing. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Hi there

The P12R as you say runs by E1.31. You need to go into your sequence and firstly add a device, make it a DMX universe, add as a group then choose how many channels. You then need to convert the group into RGB channels.

You then literally sequence as per usual. I assume you have setup the P12R in your Network Pref's in LOR?

Take a look at this thread
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,2232.msg19220.html#msg19220

For example this is my P2 setup in LOR, each prop is a group of RGB channels
lor.jpg

Streetrodder

New elf
ShellNZ said:
I assume you have setup the P12R in your Network Pref's in LOR?

Yes I have opened the Network Preferences and added 12 universes with IP addresses under E1.31 and they are set up with multicast. I read the P12R manual but it just talks about Vixen and LSP and how to set E1.31 up with them but I can't find that with LOR programs.

I'm not sure I understand this part:
You need to go into your sequence and firstly add a device, make it a DMX universe, add as a group then choose how many channels. You then need to convert the group into RGB channels.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I assumed you have created a sequence for other lights?

Just go to the bottom of the list and right click on a channel, then Insert a device.

Untitled2-2.jpg

Name it and add how many channels you need.

Untitled3.jpg

The P12R speaks in DMX language, so you need to add DMX channels in your sequence.

Have you gone into the configuration page of the P12R?

Streetrodder

New elf
Ok, I have found the insert device in the sequence and it just needs to be RGB device (Non CCD) correct?
Then I am assuming triples? RGB, RGB, RGB, etc.
Base Unit ID : 0D
Network: Regular
Channels: ? (3)
Channels per unit ID: ? (16)
I am sorry, I'm just trying to make sure I get this correct. Thank you again for the help. Maybe when I get this down I can help others.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
You choose DMX when adding the device, then add however many channels you need.

Each 2811 pixel is 3 channels (R, G & B). So calculate how many chans you need for each prop.

For example, my candles have 15 x 3led modules in them. So I add 15 RGB channels, one for each module. It is in fact tho using 45 channels as each of them can go R, G & B.

I then carried on with the next candle created as a group. Essentially each prop is a group of pixels.

So it really depends on what you are doing with your 18 strands as to how you will set it up.

Streetrodder

New elf
Ok, I configured my P12 on 9 strings of 100 pixels each. One 50 pixel strand going up and one 50 pixel strand going back down (Mega Tree). So if I use these figures I would need 9 channels and the channels per unit ID would be 100 but it only lists 16, 32, & 48.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I dont actually have a P12R board, only the P2 but they need to be set up on a continual number basis.

So if you look at the pic of my candle setup...

Universe 2:

Candle 1 - 1-45
Candle 2 - 16-30
Candle 3 - 31-45
Candle 4 - 46-60

Universe 3:

Spiral tree - 188 RGB chans

Universe 4:

Arches - 300 RGB chans

So you will have 9 groups. Each group consisting of 100 RGB channels. Just add 96 chans then manually add a few more afterwards by right clicking and adding single RGB chans.

DougieB

Full time elf
Hi StreetRodder
Streetrodder said:
Ok, I configured my P12 on 9 strings of 100 pixels each. One 50 pixel strand going up and one 50 pixel strand going back down (Mega Tree). So if I use these figures I would need 9 channels and the channels per unit ID would be 100 but it only lists 16, 32, & 48.
The use of Pixels need a slight mind shift from the way you have thought of LOR in the past. The 16 channel grouping is LOR legacy 16 channel controllers, all you need to select is the next highest number after the amount you need. In your case it is 9 strings (universes) with 100 pixels = 300 channels.
So select 304 channels per universe/string and just delete the remaining 4 channels per universe/string
Also you need to set the P12 up in network settings as a 1.31 device with multicast for simplicity and then ensure that control panel is running before you start sequencer to have output to the pixels
Hope this helps