LOR in a DMX Universe

Callaidyn

New elf
I am transferring my 3 x 240vAC LOR controllers to DMX and adding a DMX DC Controller and I just wanted to ask quickly if my understanding is correct in regards to sequencing. I've read fasteddy's presentation and my understanding is that I cannot shimmer or twinkle if my LOR controllers are operating in DMX. Is this correct? What will happen if I leave shimmer and twinkle in my sequences (to those lights connected to the LOR hardware vs. the DMX DC hardware or will they both do the same)? Should I go and remove all the shimmer and twinkle from my existing sequences?
Thanks!

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Short version:
You don't have to remove the twinkles and shimmers.

Long version:
LOR hardware (the controller boards) can do the shimmer and twinkle function themselves. When you use those functions in your sequence and are using LOR boards in LOR mode (not DMX), the PC software will simply tell the LOR boards when to start and finish the effect and leave it for them to do it. This reduces network traffic.

When you're using any controller board (LOR or other) in DMX mode, the PC software has to generate the individual on/off data in real time and send it to the controller. This is a more CPU intensive and supposedly slower PCs may not handle it as well. The actual effect may be slightly different as well.

In reality, I've used twinkle and shimmer on my sequences with DMX (E1.31) and it works fine.