LOR S2 command to perform a set of "virtual clicks" in Windows Media Player?

occhristmas

New elf
Please jump past all of this background introduction to my dilemma if this will bore you, my question begins in paragraph 3. Ok, here is what I need to accomplish in order to still leverage the features of LOR S2 Show control (timer, show builder, sequencing of non rgb lights, powering up props like "tune to" sign, etc.) to control basic elements of the display but leverage Windows Media player to drive the pixels. Even though we have embraced rgb pixels, we want our existing lights and some of our existing sequences to serve as the backdrop, kind of like a screen saver while the pixels do the major work.

So - this is where it gets tricky as others have pointed out. I basically use Windows Media player visualizations to "sequence" the lights...I choose a visualization and click play, and the lights magically blink with the music and whatever light would mapped to the section of the visualization screen will light up in that color. This essentially means that most of the "individual control" that we have bragged about for years - painstaking hours of sequencing our lights - is done for us, based on whatever the WMV visualization does on the screen.

My question is this - is there a way to send a command from LOR to the Media Player? The key factor is that media player has to play the music file since the music is essentially what provides the beats for the visualizer. And, I know that I would have to research scripting, but if anyone has any type of experience with this, I would really appreciate being pointed in the right direction. From what I have read, this would be executed through a windows shell command?

So, is this even a possibility. I have already created 1 long Mp3 file that includes all the songs for this years display - so, I am hoping that this decreases the difficulty of multiple scripts and I guess I would just need to send a start and a stop command. And, would it be an animation sequence that has the shell command? Would I then copy my clicks within media player and save that as a command? That would then command the windows media player when LOR sends the command? Apologies for the lengthy post, but if anyone has any ideas or has done something similar, and is willing to share their knowledge, I would be overjoyed!!!

Thanks!!

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Guess the bit i don't get is how you get the onscreen visualisation to actually control the Pixels in real time, what magic bit of gear is in the middle?

Phil

occhristmas

New elf
http://www.onumen.com/products_detail.aspx?ID=70&b_id=4&c_id=1&pid=226

Since I wanted a control system that incorporated DVI to drive slave controllers, I purchased the controller in the link above. The software that comes with it does all of the work - you map your pixels, and then create a program (which is essentially the visualization from Windows Media Player), and click play. It is much more complex than I understand - now, just incorporating the software that runs this controller with the software that runs my non pixel controllers.

Any ideas?