LOR Sequencer playback very choppy

nato595

Let's do this!
Hello all!
I recently added some CCRs and other pixels to my display and now with so many extra channels the playback is very choppy. Without the massive number of pixels playback is smooth with the timeline trackhead, with the pixels it skips every second or so. My first thought was my computer, but I have a newer 64-bit machine with dual processors and 32GB of RAM, so I highly doubt LOR would be expecting a higher spec'd computer than this.
Honestly, it isn't a super huge deal that playback is choppy in the Sequence Editor, as long as the show player plays it as normal. I'm just wondering if this is normal or if there are any buffering settings that might fix this problem - it sure would make my sequencing easier with realtime playback.

Thanks in advance!

dougd

Full time elf
Playback from the sequence editor has never been 100% smooth. It might be a bit better if you unchecked move grid with play and control visualizer. It should play smooth when you play it through the show.

penguineer

Full time elf
Some thoughts:

LOR itself should not have a problem with a computer with the specs you have, but it may have issues with other stuff running on it. Even though you have a 64-bit CPU, 64-bit OS and swags of RAM, LOR is still a 32-bit app and will compete for memory with every other app using the first 3.2G(approx) of RAM. Check to see how much memory the system is using......

Another issue is things like apps that perform updates or regular scans(eg realtime virus scan) - there is a possibility that these apps will compete for space on one of the CPUs with the sequencer - remember that the sequencer is one app, the visualiser is another, and they share time slices with all the other apps on the machine. If there's anything on the machine that you can do without while running LOR, try turning it off and see what happens - even little things that update like stock market tickers and news headline widgets.

Have a quick look in the task manager, order by CPU% and see if anything keeps jumping to the top of the list....even for a second or two that may cause a context switch(ie annoyapp on, LOR goes out, annoyapp runs, annoyapp finishes, LOR has to switch back on....)

Also make sure your music has been set up to produce a constant bit rate - most basic MP3 rips don't(to save space) and the variable timing causes all forms of wierdness.....

Cheers!

Charl Marais

For my twins was the excuse I started with.
I operate a slightly older pc for the show than the one you are using and my Visualiser is currently running 945 elements which is close to the maximum. What I have found is that I should only have one or maybe two songs open in the sequencer or else the playback becomes choppy. Apart from that I have not had a issue with LOR so far and I am running just over 16k channels.