LOR

PhilW

New elf
Thanks for your replies,My head is getting more and more confused i am better going:
[/size]CTP16PC (residential starter kit) and a CMB24D or
[/size]CTB16PC and a CMB24D
[/size]I will be using low voltage led strings lights and motif shapes (father xmas, reindeers etc) on one board and 5m rgb led strips on the other.
[/size]Any thought on best way to go before i purchase them

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 21

i13

Dedicated elf
Your image shows the CTB-32LD (a mains voltage controller) controlling your low voltage strips. You will need to choose a low voltage DC controller.

The CMB24D would be able to control the 3 channel strips and/or your store bought lights but only if your store bought lights have more than two wires going to the first LED or if they never came with an 8 function controller. I do think the CMB24D is a relatively expensive option but it will do the job.

You will need to hack your store bought lights to get them to share a power supply. It was a pain for me but the end result was worth it.

If there's one controller that I'd recommend considering, it's this one http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/HD712
I use several of them running at 31V and they work nicely, especially considering that they're so cheap. They do require a simple modification to increase their current capacity and you'd need to add fuses if you want them. They also occasionally get dud switches that set the starting channel so I work around this. That said, they are otherwise rock solid and very good value for money.

I don't recommend sending signals to controllers via USB because doing so can cause your setup to be laggy or prone to stuttering. It might be ok for small channel counts. A more reliable (but not quite as straightforward) setup is to have your computer outputting E1.31 signal and then a hardware item (typically a pixel controller that supports this) converting the E1.31 signal to DMX.

Pixel lights are also worth mentioning. They look like LOR's Cosmic Colour range but at a fraction of the price.

PhilW

New elf
Hi Thanks for the input is this a better option as a starter package to get my going easily?

Attachments

• setup2.jpg
    setup2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 12

i13

Dedicated elf
The only thing that's different in that picture is a CTB16PC instead of a CTB-32LD. It isn't going to change what types of lights you can control.

I really think you'd be better off scrapping the idea of buying anything from Light-O-Rama and ruling out using a 240V controller. A smaller detail worth changing is to eliminate relying on USB to send data to your lights.

There are also free software options including xLights and Vixen. Some people are actually stopping using Light-O-Rama software because they prefer the free software.

Visit the chat here and there's usually someone who can help. I often enter the chat in the late evenings.

i13

Dedicated elf
ShellNZ said:
LOR 240v is still great I think as its just plug n play generally :)
That's correct but only if 240V runs the entire length of the light set.