LOR's announcement about xlights

smeighan

Dedicated elf
Well you may have heard, LOR has purchased a copy of xlights/nutcracker.
http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/31139-software-enhancements-for-2014/

Matt and I were approached by LOR to see if LOR could get a copy of our source tree. Since our code is, and will remain , open source we needed to figure out to do this. Matt and I did NOT do this for any commercial reason. We asked our self if LOR had access to our code would it help users? The agreement we came to was to allow a one time snapshot of our code that LOR would pay for. Matt and I are not working for LOR, we are not stopping development of xlights, we will be making the same number of releases as we have in the past. Matt and I do NOT know what Dan will do with the code. The terms were they get a one time copy. I think he will use it to seed his code base so that it can scale to the larger channel counts. We finished this deal a few weeks ago and have been waiting for LOR to make an announcement. I think this is good news for LOR in that they get the great architecture of xlights to help scale. It does NOT effect us in our development. Dan is an honest and upfront guy. Our code is available opensource. they could have taken parts of it and we would never have known. I think this is good for xlights users in that our file formats (xseq, fseq) and the integration with LOR will become tighter. We are NOT feeding our future versions into LOR. Matt and I wish Dan and LOR the best of luck. we, the xlights team, now will go back to what we are working on. We have over 100 items to prioritize.

Matt and Sean

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
LOR rocks and now it looks like the ease of use of LOR is going to get some of the awesome power of Xlight/nutcracker that you and Matt have been creating Sean. Love your work and love that LOR is now coming to the party. Great to see that LOR is paying you for the privilege which should give you some more dollars to put up more blinky lights :)

Devo

Apprentice elf
Community project designer
Interesting development. I shall look forward to seeing what they (LOR) come up with...

smeighan

Dedicated elf
i look forward also to what LOR can do.

I hope they can integrate xlights into their existing sequencer.
Remember, neither Matt nor I know what Dan's plans are. we are at the same level as all of you.

I really dislike having to have users need two programs instead of one. I hope this year we may see Vixen 3, Vixen+ and now maybe LOR incorporate nutcracker into them.

we have plans for xlights this year.

stay tuned