Lost Data

Ɠαяєтн

Mae gen i C.L.A.P ei heintus iawn
I am normally very good at data protection, always make backups and store them away safe. This time however, those holes in the cheese lined up. I had bought a new external hard drive, to make a backup of my 2TB external drive. I was also using disk image software to write an FPP image to a SD drive....and opps, sent the image to the wrong drive. After picking myself up I realized i had 'lost' all my 2TB data, many years of manuals and files.

I quickly jumped into Zoom, being a Friday night I asked my fellow IT gurus of what recovery software to use. Brett wholeheartedly recommended MiniTool Power Data Recovery. I don't normal promote 3rd party software, but this recovered 99% of my files, wow! OK it took a few hours to leave it to scan, but a few clicks and my files were back.

So, the lessons learned here are; always make regular backups, store them away safely and most importantly when writing images make sure you have the correct drive letter. Perhaps remove all other USBs when doing this job.

I would just like to say a really big thank you to Brett and others in Zoom who helped me. The help we give each other on this group is extraordinary.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
When I go to burn an FPP image I check about 3 times that I select the right drive. I'm somewhat paranoid about making that mistake and wiping stuff out. I've bookmarked the proggy as I have been known to delete a few things now and then.

JohnsRdChristmas

Full time elf
Iv done it when burning a windows iso to usb, lost alot of stuff, tried 1 bit of software which ran for 2 days and got a garble of files back, wish i kept trying now,

Last edited:

Zuseleets

Full time elf
That’s brilliant it worked out for you. I need to make back ups of my backs ups now. Ha! Who am I kidding? I don’t even have back ups. I have to sort that one out. :oops:

Reactions: AAH