Low voltage cable and connectors.

fj

Apprentice elf
Hi everyone,

I'm after some suggestions for low voltage electrical cable and connectors (and where to source it from in AUS). Rated for 24V and no more than 5 amps would be plenty.

cheers, fj

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
fj

Couple of more clues may be needed to recommend connectors.
Do they need the be waterproof?
who many pins?
What are they used for?

The only connectors in my entire display last year were on the controllers.

As for cable, standard lamp flex, 24 x 0.20 is rated at 7.5A and is a good general purpose cable for power runs, I buy mine from my local Bunnings store for around $52 for 100m roll, cheaper than anywhere else in Canberra.

To extend individual light strings up to about 8m i used 14 x 0.12, this i was buying from Jaycar as they had a cheap price in the catalogue, however that has changed this year so when the last roll is used i'll have to search where to buy.

I got lucky last year and got some 32 x 0.20 rated at 10A from Altronics on special at just a little above the lamp flex price :) this was black/red so made it easy for polarity.

At low voltage the two most important things are the current capacity AND distance of run.

Cheers
Phil

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
So what are peoples thoughts on using CAT 5 for low voltage low current DC power runs, I intend to use some for the lower current applications, should be good for 1 amp per core.

xmasbull

Pease and Good wll
Im with you smartalec the speaker wire is the way to go and its safe and yes Bunnings is the way to go as i have purchased from Jaycar and its double the price

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
Hi All

For all my light extensions, I use Dick Smith light speaker cable (W2010 14*0.14mm). Better quality than Bunnings and cheaper than JayCar @ $19/100m roll. Price hasn't changed in the last 5 years, but you need to get them to order the amount required as individual stores rarely stock more than 1 roll. My local store which has gone away from the DIY market will still order these catalog items. You also must confirm that you are getting the /roll price.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
aussiexmas said:
Hi All

For all my light extensions, I use Dick Smith light speaker cable (W2010 14*0.14mm). Better than Bunnings and cheaper than JayCar @ $19/100m roll. Price hasn't changed in the last 5 years, but you need to get them to order the amount required as individual stores rarely stock more than 1 roll. My local store which has gone away from the DIY market will still order these catalog items. You also must confirm that you are getting the /roll price.

Geoff

Thanks for that tip, that's the Jaycar wire i use about 6 rolls of a year... must be the only thing that DSE is cheaper on in the world :)

Phil

fj

Apprentice elf
AussiePhil said:
Connectors

What are they used for?

Hi Phil,

I don't want to have to screw / unscrew power cables from the power supply every year so I was thinking of a short cable coming out from power supply which would then join on to a long cable connected directly to the DCSSR screw terminals. It's the joining of the two power cables that I wanted connectors for. So I guess 2 pins would be enough.

Hope that makes sense.

If anyone has better ideas then please let me know.

Thanks, Scott

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
fj said:
AussiePhil said:
Connectors

What are they used for?

Hi Phil,

I don't want to have to screw / unscrew power cables from the power supply every year so I was thinking of a short cable coming out from power supply which would then join on to a long cable connected directly to the DCSSR screw terminals. It's the joining of the two power cables that I wanted connectors for. So I guess 2 pins would be enough.

Hope that makes sense.

If anyone has better ideas then please let me know.

Thanks, Scott

Scott

Suspected that was the use.

Couple of options immediately come to mind.
These from Jaycar will do the job
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PP2020&CATID=35&form=CAT&SUBCATID=623
I had planned to use them in a 12 pin version for multichannel connection.

For higher currents or just plain better connectors then "anderson" connectors are the go.
http://andersonpower.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_4_20&products_id=134
Data sheet: http://www.andersonpower.com.au/store/technical/Multipole/DS-SB50.pdf
These can be found on ebay, just search for anderson plug

Honestly, the only advantage is if you need to quickly disconnect a power run, compared to the 100's of channel connectors you will turn a screwdriver on, the dozen odd power supply connectors take 10 minutes, far quicker than making the connector sets up :)

I am however seriously considering using the anderson connectors with the 100A Power supply i have.

Cheers
Phil

fj

Apprentice elf
thanks phil. those anderson power poles are pricey, that's for sure.

i was looking at the connectors below too (see picture). i use them for my electric RC planes and they are good for 65 amps constant. 5 pairs for $3.49 US. only problem is having to solder them on to wire then use heat shrink tubing.

you've got a good point there though. maybe having to screw in a couple dozen or so power cables is not such a big deal.

thanks, scott

Attachments

• XT60.jpg
    XT60.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 19

fj

Apprentice elf
not sure if the specs say but i just went and measured a pair of the XT60's i have and you could jamm a 4mm wire in there.

i think the EC3 connectors allow a 5mm wire.

riri7707

Full time elf
Hi,
Personnally, after few try and searchs, for my strings, i will use simple DIN 8 PIN connectors.

I'm working on the idea to use 8 PIN DIN round male/female for quick connections for middle current
and also for small strings modules mini din 8 pin male female too...

This will permit me to adjust the the lenght of the show very easily and modulable on demand.

I found good prices from China, and waiting the EMS box these days.

I'll let you know my experiments outside under rain.
First try with some connectors want fine...
Heat-shrink will be necessary, but i'm confident on this idea face to the high price of waterproof connectors.

Cheers, henri