LPD6803 control via FPP on Pi Zero

SarahD

Mersey Christmas Lights, maker and breaker
Hi people - apologies if this is already answered but I've been researching for a while and can find other threads with the same problem but not with a clear answer. Hoping someone can help.

I want to control two sets of LPD6803 pixels via a Raspberry Pi Zero running FPP. The lights are permanently mounted on the house, and now I'm running pixels, I want to incorporate them into the display. The controller that came with the lights was pre-programmed with 1024 choices and a remote control, but no ability to synch: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1548109249.html. It sits in the middle of the run, and I've got 3 x 5m strips going in each direction with power injection and they've run perfectly for years.

I've bought a new real of LPD6803 so I can experiment without getting up under the eaves, and have a fresh Pi with a new FPP install. Here's what I've tried.
I've read the FPP manual, and it just says SPI can be replicated in software using the Pi pins. Good!
In FPP I've been into the Pi pixel string setup page and added in LPD6803 (16 lines come up, and I've just set up the first two lines. Only one is set up to GPIO pins (SPI0). I have SIP0 MOSI (GPIO 20, pin 19) -> Data in, and SPI0 Sclock (GPIO 11, pin 23) -> CI. I don't know what the Pi SPI0_CE0 pin does and it's not connected.
There's a few places where I can find these Pi GPIO pin assignments have beed tried, eg https://pinout.xyz/pinout/spi#
However, I've also found posts where these have been tried and didn't work, and were never resolved https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93447,
https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/27440/controlling-rgb-led-strip-via-spi-and-node-js. These pins don't work for me either (noting that LPD6803 is 12V and I'm using an external 12v supply to just the strip, with 5V to the pi and grounds tied). Strip comes on blue and doesn't respond to Pi display testing. I'm clearly doing something wrong, or missing something important.

My questions are:
1) Do I need to activate SPI on the Pi, and if so how do I do that through FPP?
2) Given there's 10cm between the Pi and the LED strip, is the 3.3V likely to be the cause of the problem, or is it something else?
3) What is CE0 and do I need that connected
4) Do I need a cape/hat to make it work (and if so where please because I can't find one)
5) If none of the above, what am I missing???????

Many thanks for any words of wisdom.

dkulp

Full time elf
The pinouts for the spixel outputs are in the FPP help (hit F1).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 9.33.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 9.33.41 AM.png
    337.8 KB · Views: 28

SarahD

Hi dkulp - thank you! I had not seen this page before (nor had I been into the FPP help itself, just the manual), and these are different to the SPI labels I'd seen on Raspberry Pi pinout tables. I will both go and read the help, and try this combo and let you know how I go. I am going to be so happy if it works!

SarahD

You absolute legend - thank you so much for this help! I've tested both string #1 and #2 connections and they work perfectly. You can't see me bouncing around the workshop with excitement, but that's what's happening here. I can't believe this information was so hard to find on the web, and so obvious when I looked where you showed me. Many, many thanks!

Final question - it's about 20cm from the pi to the first LPD6803 pixels. Do I need to invest in a logic level converter to bring the 3.3V from the Pi up to 5V to run two sets of 15m (450 nodes)? It works OK for one string, but not sure what will happen when I get up in the roof and connect two strings, each with 3 LPD6803 strips. I'm not sure if the string amplifies the clock and data signals, or if the signal needs to get itself all the way to the end without amplification.

dkulp

Full time elf
20cm should be fine without the buffer chip. The signal is regenerated so as long as the first chip is OK, the rest should be as well.