LSP Beta Tester Opportunity Thread

kane

Dedicated elf
Matt said:
Well honestly, any BETA tester should already own a copy of LSP's latest incarnation. Perhaps instead of giving free licenses to BETA testers, discounts for updated / up version software should be on offer instead. Sure this wont suit all people to a tea, but it will help stop those people who are just in it for the freebies, plus also ensure that the right people are there for future testing.
Yeah, every beta tester would have had a licence at some stage, they just get free continual upgrades I think.. All I was meaning with this is that if they're holding back on letting more beta testers in because of the potential "cost", then remove that part of it- as I can't see that deterring anyone

Matt said:
Also agree, that no matter what the oputcome of numbers within a BETA there are, a bug tracker is definately required.
There is already a system used for tracking bugs (the "projects" section on the website), but I think there needs to be a major overhaul to clean it all up and ensure everyone is on the same page.. And also to ensure everything is together - many bugs were reported to David directly via email, or submitted through LSP itself (which I think just sent David an email).. Having a way of marking a job as a duplicate of another is a standard part of most bug tracking software -

Having a new QCC, and having Dean take control should improve things a lot - previously, with David being the owner/project manager/developer (all on the side from his day job?), it really came down to what he wanted to do.. And to be honest, like most programmers, he probably found it more interesting to add new features than to reproduce and fix bugs.

Bird

LOR user
penguineer said:
Alpha/Beta testers need to be a bit thicker skinned than the regular user population.

To keep a product viable you need to make sure the really nasty stuff is sorted before it gets to the users

But the beta testers do get to become experts and play with the new toys first
The shortened version. :) And I agree for true beta testers.

Beta testers usually don't even get a version with a number. They get a beta version that sometimes doesn't have a "release" version number assigned yet. It can, although not common, do very nasty things to your files.
So to restate Eddy ... commitment is usually paramount for a 'beta tester'.
The general population will usually let the manufacture of software know about mashing key problems in a released version.
After all, Bill Gates has been using the general population to be the final beta tester for years, and the population pays him for the privilege of being his beta tester. :eek:

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Bird said:
penguineer said:
Alpha/Beta testers need to be a bit thicker skinned than the regular user population.

To keep a product viable you need to make sure the really nasty stuff is sorted before it gets to the users

But the beta testers do get to become experts and play with the new toys first
The shortened version. :) And I agree for true beta testers.

Beta testers usually don't even get a version with a number. They get a beta version that sometimes doesn't have a "release" version number assigned yet. It can, although not common, do very nasty things to your files.
So to restate Eddy ... commitment is usually paramount for a 'beta tester'.
The general population will usually let the manufacture of software know about mashing key problems in a released version.
After all, Bill Gates has been using the general population to be the final beta tester for years, and the population pays him for the privilege of being his beta tester. :eek:

ill be waiting for windows 8.5 or 9 what ever they will call it because im sure windows 8 will be like vista, ME and the others that were the first of a major update.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I think 1 of the major requirements for the beat testers is that they must make a commitment to doing a fair bit of testing during the "off" season. It will be useless to LSP/Minleon if they only fire up LSP in November. By that time of year it would be hoped that a whole raft of beta releases had been downloaded and tested. Not only should they be running LSP for sequencing early in the year but they should be controlling lights so any bugs related to the outputting of data and of the scheduler operation can be tested.
I don't sequence till about this time of year and will barely blink a light before the end of November so I'd be a hopeless beta tester.

kane

Dedicated elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
ill be waiting for windows 8.5 or 9 what ever they will call it because im sure windows 8 will be like vista, ME and the others that were the first of a major update.
I had a new developer start last week, and thought I'd give Windows 8 a go for his PC... Seems to actually be going pretty well.. Couldn't say the same for Vista or ME! About the only frustrating thing is the missing start button!

The main reason I went Windows 8 is that we have an Action Pack subscription from Microsoft which gives us various licences for internal use. Obviously they want us to move to Windows 8, so mysteriously our Windows 7 licence allocation dropped down to a single licence, from memory..

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
I wouldn't mind doing it, but the space we have doesn't leave much room for much testing (I can only set up for Christmas). Maybe when we move and I get my dream shed . . . . . :D I aspire to have big work benches, power tools with miles of space and not have to test lights in the lounge room, *sigh* I might get it one day.

Bird

LOR user
toodle_pipsky said:
Maybe when we move and I get my dream shed . . . . . :D

Mine is very close to reality now, will be listing our current house for sale this Tuesday. :)

Who knows, Maybe in the future Eddy can get me to switch to the dark side and then I can become a beta tester. LOL

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator