LSP Scheduler hardware requirements

anon

Apprentice elf
Sups!

I'm looking to the hardware to run the show of ~1500 channels. I was thinking that hey, this should be a 'pre-compiled' file with the scheduler streaming out same data to a few interfaces....how hard can it be?

...very hard apparently seeing people's needs for hardware.

I was hoping to grab a dirt cheap net book to run the show, but looks like this may be asking too much of the hardware, so will borrow the other half's 2yo laptop instead.

What would be a reasonable hardware spec to run the scheduler?

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Core 2 duo laptop with 4GB Ram ran last years show no drama with just under 8000 channels.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I ran 2500 channels back in 2010 with LSP on an old 3ghz dual core 4 gig ram system with no issues.

garyh

New elf
It depends on your hardware and what version of LSP you have.

For me, the USB Lynx dongle output is broken both in the v2.5 sequencer and scheduler so anyone using USB Lynx dongles either have to roll back a version or deal with no output.

Personally I'd recommend you spend the time learning how to export your LSP sequence to xlights and let xlights run it--I had so many problems with slowdowns and the LSP scheduler crashing in the first 2 days of my show last year. Finally someone told me to try xlights to run the show and I kept the rest of my hair ;)

From my experience, you'll need a stronger computer to run your show using the LSP scheduler than running the show with xlights.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The LSP scheduler is a top priority for the new LSP programming team, so hopefully we may see some big improvements with the next release which im sure will be out before Christmas show time.

anon

Apprentice elf
It should be well within the hardware envelope of the lappy then, possibly even a net book with my channel count.

I'm running 2.5 at the moment with everything being E1.31, so I think I came into this at right time as looking at old forum posts there was nothing but hate for the scheduler in earlier versions. 2.5 appears to have gone a long way to fixing this.

LSP, both sequencer and scheduler, still have astoundingly high usage for what they do and could benefit from a lot of code optimisation. Hopefully this is what they're working on in their next release. I was going to have a play with xLights to compare resource usage and see if a net book is an option....the ultimate solution would have to be xLights running on a Rasberry Pi.

Slite

Full time elf
Can I install the scheduler on a "show-pc" and still have the sequencer on my "standard" desktop? And if so, how?

/stefan

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Yes you can but its a whole install of both the scheduler and the sequencer. I find it best to save the LSP file to a common accessable place like dropbox. you get upto 5 LSP license seats to use and if you do run out then its just a matter of sending an email