LSP Update Announcement

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
This has just been posted on the LSP forum

Dear LSP Community;
Hope all is well and thank you for choosing LSPro. Additionally a sincere thank you for your patience as we finalize our planned sequencer re-write. As we begin the final stages of the re-write, we do want to provide a brief update/refresher in terms of the objectives and the timeline.
Objectives
The objective of the sequencer re-write has always been, and remains, … re-engineer its foundational structure to; (1) optimize current user efficiencies in producing light shows, (2) optimize its API to efficiently accommodate for future enhancements such as LSPro initiated macro development, third party plug-ins/add-ons, and the like, and (3) accommodate 3D mapping (xyz axis) (...year 2016 planned rollout) and other advanced functions. We feel our structural enhancements which allows us to efficiently handle the above-referenced advanced functionality, will take LSP software to the next level. Specific 2015 planned enhancements follow:

1. Ease of Use – One of our primary goals is to allow anyone that wants to have a light show be able to use our software. In the past we have heard the comments about LSP having a large learning curve and it scares people away, especially those new to the hobby or business. The new software suite will have a very easy to use feel while still retaining the advanced RGB capabilities.

2. Object based Sequencing – Object based sequencing has been a dream for a lot of users. The ability to sequence and not worry about how many channels an object has makes it easier to create the effects and show. Also with object based sequencing the ability to share sequences becomes even easier. Mapping layers to objects and having the software figure out how effects need to be generated is a major step forward in the new version coming out.

3. Live Control (feature will be implemented after release most likely) – The ability to play effects and macros during a live show will allow users to “wow” their audience. No longer will you have a “blind” light show going on while a band is playing. Queuing, pre-created effects, sliders, etc. will be available to users to allow them to create a great live experience.

4. Multi-server Explorer – With the ability to now run our service in Linux (i.e. Raspberry Pi), servers for playback will be easier to have remote. The new server explorer will allow you to keep a listing of playback servers that can be configured and scheduled from an easy to use interface. No longer will you have a separate scheduler and have to set up I/O mapping twice. One place, one configuration, done.

5. Smart Effects – On, ramps, etc. have always been classified as simple effects. What about the ability to place any type of effect on a layer and have the software map to the channels accordingly? You will still have the ability to dive down to the channel layer for hard core users, but smart effects will make it easier for users to place the effects they want quickly. This will also be what makes sharing sequences so much easier. And, the software will automatically re-generate channel effects when layers and objects affecting those channels change.

6. Multi-color Effects – Why be limited to an On effect with only a start and end color? With the addition of the smart effects, multi-color effects will be available to allow the user to create a “macro” like effect without actually using a macro. “Simple” effects will have the ability to have multiple color changes just by placing a single effect.

7. Efficient Storage – Gone are the long loading times of XML-based sequence files. With database storage, we only load the data we need. Searching through the data is much more efficient and faster.

8. Properties Editor and Enhanced Ribbon – We’ve minimized the use of right click pop-up windows. Quickly make changes to effect properties, drawing objects, etc. with a new properties editor and enhanced ribbon.

9. Faster macro generation – We have all waited patiently, or impatiently, for the macro to finish completing so we can move on to our next effect. We plan on those waiting times to be significantly reduced or even gone.

10. Multi-core Processing – We have optimized the software to be run on multi-core machines. You can still run on single core, but the experience is truly better on a multi-core.

11. New Matrix Tool – No more single clicking squares. Now you can “draw” on the matrix tool to fill in the squares just by dragging your mouse. Also, the matrix tool will be smarter. No longer should you have to know the exact channel count of your matrix object. The software will be able to interpolate to your channel count as necessary.

Timeline

We expect beta testing to begin mid July with completion in September. Our introductory plan also includes a team viewer session(s) for interested parties to understand the product and to ask questions regarding its functionality, and offer suggestions. After our scheduled release in September, we do plan scheduled updates during the fall to address features not initially ready at release, and to address user feedback.

In closing, again we sincerely appreciate your patience during this process and trust you will be pleased with the results.

LightShow Studio’s LLC, managers of LightShowPro

mborg10

Michael Borg
I personally am looking forward to point 1 they to 11 but more importantly can't wait for

3 live control

9 faster macro generation

And especially waiting for

11 new matrix tool - with high count matrix we can put our animator hats on and draw much quicker.

Considering im in the market for a new laptop this years sequencing should fly.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
This is horrendous news. Beta testing beginning in mid July with a release expected in September. This is many months too late for anyone serious about building a show. Many people are sequencing already and most others simply cannot wait for an expected release day 3 months away. It is great that all these changes are coming in but seriously a September release, which is when 100's of previously unseen bugs will appear, is months too late. This will setup LSP for a great season in 2016 but pretty well all the long term users will have had their licences expire by then. With LSP 2.8 released just under 2 years ago nearly all the licenced upgrades are gone already. :(

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Totally agree no way this black duck will be using 2.whatever this year, seriously how do I sequence $30K plus channels in 4 weeks although LSP have new owners they still have the same bad habits last minute releases someone needs to pull their finger out

danozfw

New elf
This is very disappointing, I have tried to use LSP for several years with little or no success and paid for all the upgrades. I'm really sorry I wasted my money. In my humble opinion LSP is going to be DOA and LSP should stop selling licenses until and unless they have a proven product!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
AAH said:
This is horrendous news. Beta testing beginning in mid July with a release expected in September. This is many months too late for anyone serious about building a show. Many people are sequencing already and most others simply cannot wait for an expected release day 3 months away. It is great that all these changes are coming in but seriously a September release, which is when 100's of previously unseen bugs will appear, is months too late. This will setup LSP for a great season in 2016 but pretty well all the long term users will have had their licences expire by then. With LSP 2.8 released just under 2 years ago nearly all the licenced upgrades are gone already. :(

Don't presume anything and yes some may find that the time frame does not suit their needs but the reality is most will not sequence until later anyway as they are still focussing on building and designing displays. I've always started my sequencing in October when I had my elements built and ready so I could allocate the correct channels to the correct elements in my display. Everyone does it differently, some wait until the week before or sequence all the way up to Christmas eve or some start in January and sequence all year.

The hardware and channel count and the demands we expect are always pushing software developers to the limit as we expect more and more complex features as standard. This is a long term project where the foundations have been put in place to build upon for the future as the old code was never designed for what we do today.
So unfortunately it will be a little late for some but for the long term I think LSP will set the standard once again as far as features and power going forward and that is a great thing, but its a lot of work to get there.

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
Bummer September release is crap.

So we are supposed to learn about the new stuff and write 4-5 shows in a month or two while we are installing, and get around the usual LSP "special features". Still looks like still no support for faces and only 1 video.

Need to decide on sequencer software mid year. September release is such a bad time for Christmas Lighting and based on LSP's comments this date looks likely to slip anyway.

Have used LSP for several years but time for the Tuppets to change horses...... 8)

mborg10

Michael Borg
The release hasn't even come out yet and there is a lot of "downers" out there. I for one look forward to any update, from LSP or its competitors. To get the best product you have to have competitors so you keep pushing the boundaries.

From what I have read the new release is a new engineered product so future possibilities are not limited by an old platform.

I only start programming once my display is up. Then I can photograph it and map it with ease. Once it is mapped I can knock out an ok sequence in a night and a more complex one in about a week.

Is there a perfect time for a release? Probably not as everyone attacks there show differently.

Valentinorx

Apprentice elf
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
The release hasn't even come out yet and there is a lot of "downers" out there. I for one look forward to any update, from LSP or its competitors. To get the best product you have to have competitors so you keep pushing the boundaries.

From what I have read the new release is a new engineered product so future possibilities are not limited by an old platform.

I only start programming once my display is up. Then I can photograph it and map it with ease. Once it is mapped I can knock out an ok sequence in a night and a more complex one in about a week.

Is there a perfect time for a release? Probably not as everyone attacks there show differently.

Agreed. As much as all the software choices differ so do the way people approach the Christmas season. I always sequenced first then built and assembled in the fall. With the move to pixels this year for everything I and doing it the other way. All props are new this year. Window frames, MT, arches, candy canes. I need everything done so I can sequence it properly and not have to redo channel configs and all. I will always take a look at anything our vendors put out and give it a fair shake. Thanks to all.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I usually sequence early so feeling a little uneasy about how things will go this year. However, LSP can do some great things but has just been hampered by bugs that slow the sequencing process dramatically. I like what LSP can do and would be happy to stick with it. If the new release truely does remove the problems of the previous versions then sequencing could become very quick meaning a Sept launch could be plenty of time to get a show together. Personally I would prefer that the developers took their time a got it right first time than rush out a buggy product so don't mind that it is taking a long time - can't be easy rebuilding this software from the ground up. Perhaps in retrospect they could have posted the occasional note to say how the update process had been going as many people felt that LSP's future was in serious doubt. If the things mentioned in the latest update come to fruition then LSP will be a pretty awesome piece of software for this hobby so I am excited. I am expecting there to be some cost - just hope it's not too high and the software works as advertised.

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
I have been a die hard LSP user from the start however any expectation that a complete new build will not be full bugs is unrealistic every company I know of that releases or updates software has bugs and I don't have a problem with it as most of the time there is a work around, the issue is the time it takes to learn all the bugs and work arounds IMO LSP need to do an open Beta release let us the end user - purchaser and the ones keep them in business all find the bugs and at the same time let us get an understanding of the new way it works.

My biggest issue is time, I had a disater last year as LSP coulnd't handle the channels now I and many others are pondering ....do I learn a new system such as X Lights por Vixen or ??? now or do we wait and hope that LSP get it out in Sept bug free and then learn the new system.

Regardless of when you sequence or when you build your display software no matter who writes software they always have bugs. LSP planned this release last year then it all became too hard and we all sat with the V2.8 since then there has been silence from them. Simple rule in business if you don't comminicate with your most importatmnt asset your customers you lose them maybe it is time LSP comunicated a little more.