LSP Update Announcement

Jimbo

Full time elf
So,

No beta update in mid July as stated in release. The programmers have left the LSP user Facebook forum in a puff, and advised tgar no beta version will be released publicly. Also a a new commercial only version will be made and that you will have to pay for this even if you have a year of free updates available!

On top of this, the programmers are too busy with their real job and families ( I am surprised that these guys are doing this as more of a hobby).
hat
Anyway, after so many dates and promises I have no choice but to move onto something else. LSP have shot themsves in the foot and i personally cannot believe a word that they say. The current version of LSP is full of so many bugs.after 2 years of not adddessing these issues and after so promises its time to part ways

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
It seems that you need to be a facebook member to even see what is on the lsp facebook page. All I see is 3 posts dating back years.

arw01

Full time elf
I have not seen a single mention of this commercial centric release rumored in a couple of posts across the forums. I think someone mis-read and another 1 to 2 people have picked it up.

Agree lack of updates is FRUSTRATING, but I keep plugging away on 2.8, runs just lovely and still the others have to add features to do what I did 2 years ago..

nutz4lights

Full time elf
The same could be said the other way around... I am now using xlights in beta and can do stuff I couldn't do the last 2 years in LSP. ;-)

...and it was easy.

Louie

darylc

404 darylc not found
Another LSP Update Announcement

A new announcement has been made on the LSP forum:

http://lightshowpro.com/quality-control-committee-announcements/4762-lspro-sequencer-re-write-update.html

Sadly, I think this is the killer for most people for this season:
"As a final note, due to the nature of the rewrite and the shift to the much more powerful object-oriented sequencing scheme, we currently do not expect that sequences created with LSP 2.8 or earlier will be compatible with the new LSP for editing purposes (….as always, with progress comes some degree of pain). However, we are working on a way to potentially allow for playback of these sequences through the Scheduler. We will provide more details on compatibility at a later date."

gerry

Senior elf
I took all my LSP sequences and imported them into xLights and they all appeared to work fine on the xLights preview.
I tested a couple with actual output strings just to make sure.
Then was able to selectively override some of the effects (not edit), replace entire models' effects or simply add new effects to what I already had for LSP in the same seq.

An xLights effect on a 12,000 channel matrix over 20 secs of playing time on my tiny laptop < 3 secs to render into preview and < 5 secs to save the entire display.

Would not look back...

logandc99

Dedicated elf
For this year, I too have switched to Xlights 4. Whilst LSP 2.8 was stable for me, it required me to sequence only on my most powerful computer. And the process of sequencing, whilst do-able ( have used LSP last two years) has become too painful. Will obviously look at LSP again when they release new version but currently I am finding XL4 does things so quickly and painlessly and I can use even my oldest Mac for sequencing. Oh, and of course I can use the Mac version and avoid Windows all together[emoji3]. I think the LSP team have done the right thing in doing a complete rewrite and although some have been unhappy with how long it is taking, I think it is much better to take the time and release a good, finished product rather than a buggy one quickly. I look forward to seeing what the LSP team come up with. But at present I am really impressed with XL4 and in particular the team behind it as they are moving forward at a rate of knots.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
I herd on the LSP facebook forum.. there no longer supporting the facebook forum,
an there new version they have comming out in sept, is NOT backwards compatible, from other versions..

so that means all LSP people have to resequence everything all over again

logandc99

Dedicated elf
smartalec said:
I herd on the LSP facebook forum.. there no longer supporting the facebook forum,
an there new version they have comming out in sept, is NOT backwards compatible, from other versions..

so that means all LSP people have to resequence everything all over again

Correct and that's part of my reason for putting LSP aside for this year. Didn't want to wait until sept to learn a new version from scratch or leave sequencing that late.

kane

Dedicated elf
Overall, pretty disappointing.

I can understand the fact that software development can take longer than planned, and they want to make sure things are right before releasing. But I am very surprised that the development team were not full time on this - I thought that being backed by a relatively large company meant that they were afforded the funds to work full time on this to push ahead as the industry leader. But given they are working on it in their spare time, it is no wonder that things are so delayed.

The fact that they are not going to support 2.8 sequences will be a deal breaker for many people, including myself. I am so lacking in spare time these days that I don't get a chance to spend much time on my display at all - so I will usually re-use most of my previous sequences, and add one or two more. But looks like I'll be sticking with LSP 2.8 for this year, and then look to move over to xlights or vixen next year.

That being said, I hope LSP do the smart thing and open the product up to third parties to extend - whether that be by releasing the specifications for the file format, or offering programmatic control of the application. Both of these options should allow third parties to build the appropriate functionality.

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
OMG the lunatics are running the asylum I cannot make sense of the "Vision" of LSP......most a pretty anoyed with the 2 years of promises and now to be told we have to relearn the entire system and rewrite all the sequences on a piece of software that will not be available till September which given the track record will be full of bugs...as all new software is.....and pay them to use their software. Glad they don't run my business. LSP R.I.P

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
I was premature in saying that it was horrendous news????
It's the start of the last week in July and other than the news that the new build looks like being incompatible with old sequences there doesn't appear to be any official word of what is happening or going to happen. Unofficial word through the grapevine has suggested that it may end up being a 2016 release. If it is a 2016 release I hope it's early in 2016 and that Minleon look after all the customers (myself included) who have effectively had no product updates that were free for X years.

AAH said:
This is horrendous news. Beta testing beginning in mid July with a release expected in September. This is many months too late for anyone serious about building a show. Many people are sequencing already and most others simply cannot wait for an expected release day 3 months away. It is great that all these changes are coming in but seriously a September release, which is when 100's of previously unseen bugs will appear, is months too late. This will setup LSP for a great season in 2016 but pretty well all the long term users will have had their licences expire by then. With LSP 2.8 released just under 2 years ago nearly all the licenced upgrades are gone already. :(

arw01

Full time elf
Last official reports were release in September, but that's a big month and we have seen how many didn't make it posts now. Developers have retreated from the LSP facebook group because of the heat in the kitchen. Massive frustration and criticism when they see part time xl developers cooking the LSP goose every week with massive new feature introductions.

But I'm still personally plugging along with LSP 2.8, I use features in there not in other sequencers and David was visionary in the tools and abilities, let's hope the new developers are as much.

Pircy

Full time elf
Just thought that I would update everyone that there is no update!!! Ba ha ha ha ha :p
I did look though, and there was only angry people venting at the lack of no update!

chicken

Apprentice elf
Well it's the last day in September and no updates and no news. Looks like it's xLights 4 time :(. Another sack of coal from lsp this year as it has been for the last 3-4 years.