LSP Update Announcement

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Well I bought LSP 2.8 in hopes that it would get the improvements promised but with all the delays, promises that don't materialize, and lack of progress, I guess it is time for me to dump it and go with XLights/Nutcracker as well.
Too bad as I had my LOR sequences already converted to LSP but have been patiently waiting like everybody else for this update for far too long.

Since I can't do a display this year (major back surgery next month) I am going to set up my display computer along with some hardware next to my hospital bed "home" for the next three months and get cracking with XLights and converting my LOR equipment to run on a Pi computer with FPP and maybe a BeagleBone board for a pixel sign.
At least I am fairly sure that that will be still supported next fall from all the new functions and capabilities that Sean and everybody working on XLights has been turning out almost daily it seems lately.

Too bad as LSP is not a bad program but we all know how frustrating it is to wait and wait and then not get what is supposed to be coming. I would imagine that it will be pretty impressive if they get it all cleaned up and running right but I also just don't feel good about hoping and waiting for a program that from understanding will not even support my work done in Version 2.8!

chicken

Apprentice elf
I guess we are ditching LSP this year :( Pretty sad how things have turned out. I know a lot of us had high hopes for the new sequencer. Luckily there are some good open source alternatives now a days.

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
They might as well abandon LSP as it dead and buried by most of it's loyal followers that have been strung alone with BS promises. They could't pay me to go back

arw01

Full time elf
It is a puzzling bit of marketing the silent treatment or long time users across the forums.

The hostility got too much for the developers on the facebook users group. There are a couple of ex users there so HoHoHoed off that they would pour gas a Minleon fire.

Let us hope when they come out of stealth programming, that they are not stealth support too as when they left facebook they said they could not monitor multiple places, but PLEAS for updates on the official forum have been ignored as well.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I have long been critical of LSP. Not because of it's features which quite possibly still exceed all other sequencers but because of the bugs, inconsistencies and lack of info. Who knows what's happening with LSP but my prediction 4 months ago has unfortunately been borne out. Sadly most LSP users have been left in the lurch and have forfeited the upgrades that they paid for :(

AAH said:
This is horrendous news. Beta testing beginning in mid July with a release expected in September. This is many months too late for anyone serious about building a show. Many people are sequencing already and most others simply cannot wait for an expected release day 3 months away. It is great that all these changes are coming in but seriously a September release, which is when 100's of previously unseen bugs will appear, is months too late. This will setup LSP for a great season in 2016 but pretty well all the long term users will have had their licences expire by then. With LSP 2.8 released just under 2 years ago nearly all the licenced upgrades are gone already. :(

chicken

Apprentice elf
If they want to have any hope of getting back existing customers they are going to have to give an extra year of upgrades for free at this point in my opinion. I have personally been a customer for 5+ years of covered support/upgrades and I still don't feel I got a solid season of a reliable product I paid for. If they are going to force an upgrade cost on me at this point for the first year of the new sequencer I think I am just going to stick with xLights. So far we are liking it and it fast and does not crash. I don't know what to do with myself. LSP has always been a four letter word around our house due to the bugs and performance issues. We just always keep holding out hope that we were right around the corner from an amazing product.

jediknight2

Full time elf
They've done this to themselves sadly....I bailed and have no intentions of going back unless they want to give it away and it has a WOW factor that just blows me away...which at this point I highly doubt it could have.

kane

Dedicated elf
chicken said:
If they want to have any hope of getting back existing customers they are going to have to give an extra year of upgrades for free at this point in my opinion. I have personally been a customer for 5+ years of covered support/upgrades and I still don't feel I got a solid season of a reliable product I paid for. If they are going to force an upgrade cost on me at this point for the first year of the new sequencer I think I am just going to stick with xLights. So far we are liking it and it fast and does not crash. I don't know what to do with myself. LSP has always been a four letter word around our house due to the bugs and performance issues. We just always keep holding out hope that we were right around the corner from an amazing product.

What annoys me more than the delays is the fact that they won't support sequences from previous versions.

Myself, I've had 4 years of what I would say has been "sufficient" usefulness out of the product. A few hiccups, but overall it worked for me, perhaps with a few workarounds here and there.

The problem is, I've become very time poor over the last couple of years. To the point where in 2014 I used the exact same display as 2013, and used all the same sequences (just adding two more songs) This year, I doubt I'll even get far enough to add new songs - and no doubt the nice new ACL strobes will sit on the shelf unused!

This is the exact reason why I haven't bothered trying to move to xLights or Vixen - I don't have the time to learn a new software package, and also start from scratch for all my sequences.

The fact that LSP have mentioned they will not support previous sequences puts me in the same boat with them - even when it is released, I'll probably just stick with the old version.

I was surprised to hear that LSP was only a side project for the developers rather than them working on it full-time. It's no wonder that things have been so delayed.

oh well, will be interesting to see how it goes!

Kane

Skunberg

Full time elf
Kane said:
chicken said:

What annoys me more than the delays is the fact that they won't support sequences from previous versions.

Myself, I've had 4 years of what I would say has been "sufficient" usefulness out of the product. A few hiccups, but overall it worked for me, perhaps with a few workarounds here and there.

The problem is, I've become very time poor over the last couple of years. To the point where in 2014 I used the exact same display as 2013, and used all the same sequences (just adding two more songs) This year, I doubt I'll even get far enough to add new songs - and no doubt the nice new ACL strobes will sit on the shelf unused!

This is the exact reason why I haven't bothered trying to move to xLights or Vixen - I don't have the time to learn a new software package, and also start from scratch for all my sequences.

The fact that LSP have mentioned they will not support previous sequences puts me in the same boat with them - even when it is released, I'll probably just stick with the old version.

I was surprised to hear that LSP was only a side project for the developers rather than them working on it full-time. It's no wonder that things have been so delayed.

oh well, will be interesting to see how it goes!

Kane
Xlights will convert LSP sequence to other formats (Vixen, LOR, FPP, etc.). Which would save lots of time to switch software. But you would still need to learn the software.