Mac or PC?

charleskerr

New elf
Welcome to OS X. One thing not mentioned, is the software development system is a really nice enviroment (once you understand the concepts).

I use LOR to sequence, but then use all my own code to convert it to my dmx player format and play. We run HD video, and found playing that with sequences under LOR S2 via Bootcamp was a struggle (believed the culprit was windows media player). Under our own software, playing is struggle free (and integrates into iCal as well!).

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
PC's are for people wanting to play games all there life, an have Virus's, Malware, an Spyware

Mac's an Linux Versions have set the Standards way too High for Winblows to ever match.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
smartalec said:
PC's are for people wanting to play games all there life, an have Virus's, Malware, an Spyware

Mac's an Linux Versions have set the Standards way too High for Winblows to ever match.

Yes & No. I have owned PC's for over 20 years and dont play games with them, and have had only one virus in that time, and that was because of a stupid mistake on my part. There are lots of viruses out there, but some simple precautions, and virus scanning software to catch websites and email borne viruses and you are safe.

Real gamers buy consoles :)

I have just bought my first mac (OK I won one a few years ago but hated it - the new Macbook Air is just sweet as!), and plan on using it as a tool, not as a toy, and the added battery life is a very big bonus on my old 2hrs worth on the Toshiba i5, but the Air is not that much slower, if at all.

neilric99

Full time elf
I have just bought my first mac (OK I won one a few years ago but hated it - the new Macbook Air is just sweet as!), and plan on using it as a tool, not as a toy, and the added battery life is a very big bonus on my old 2hrs worth on the Toshiba i5, but the Air is not that much slower, if at all.

one of the beauties of OSX is that it wont slow down over time like windows does. no defrag and registry bloat.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I think Windows 7 is much better than previous versions (ME and Vista were the worst), and My main PC runs 24/7, gets rebooted for program or windows updates (or power outages while the UPS has been uvavailable) and thats about it. It is still as fast as the day it was built, but I am careful of what gets installed on it too.

So far I am very impressed with the Air and OSX Lion, and everything people are currently whinging about with this update is not a big deal for me as I have no pre-conceived ideas about what is or is not the best way to scroll or change apps etc.

neilric99

Full time elf
lithgowlights said:
I think Windows 7 is much better than previous versions (ME and Vista were the worst), and My main PC runs 24/7, gets rebooted for program or windows updates (or power outages while the UPS has been uvavailable) and thats about it. It is still as fast as the day it was built, but I am careful of what gets installed on it too.

So far I am very impressed with the Air and OSX Lion, and everything people are currently whinging about with this update is not a big deal for me as I have no pre-conceived ideas about what is or is not the best way to scroll or change apps etc.

One of the things that apple do best is to drop support for older technologies frequently, it sure makes for a more stable OS. Its about time they dropped Rosetta.

As an IPAD user the scrolling is now more normal to me, hopefully apple will be implementing the multitouch interface on the screen, although I have a couple magic trackpads that I really enjoy using, dont need to mouse anymore.

mrpackethead

Full time elf
lithgowlights said:

We've finished the upgrade from Snow leopard to Lion across the fleet now, and well, it was painless.. Done the server as well, and nothing broke..

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I did not really see a Mac Vs PC war - I think my PC is more productive by a long way because I have personalised it, got apps for everything I do, and it works great. Still learning the Mac (hey it's less than 36hrs old, give me time), but I can expect it to work well once I work out how to run windows programs on it in the future :)

Yes I have to use some Windows proggies as there is simply no Mac versions available

chilloutdocdoc

Full time elf
I prefer Windows to Mac, but to both I prefer Linux. I started as a kid using Mac and PC's side by side, but the Windows computers could just do so much more at the time, so I took a liking to them. Apple does have a great feature set that any iThing works with another iThing, but you pay for it, (to most, well worth the cost). It would be great if Windows had that kind of compatibility.

I do however like Windows because of the things that I can do on it. Granted there is one small problem, viruses, but for me, it is a very miniscule problem, because I haven't had one in 4 years. My Windows PC's also are not slowing down, I don't have junk ware installed on them. I keep my files organized (pet peeve) and I defrag every so often. If you truly want to install junk, you're going to have to clean junk out. It's like if you eat nothing but oily sweets, your body will slow down too :)

However, I do have one small pet peeve. The acronym PC. It is no way related to Microsoft. We can thank the "I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC" commercials for that.

personal computer –noun a microcomputer designed for individual use, as by a person in an office or at home or school, for such applications as word processing, data management, financial analysis, or computer games. Abbreviation: PC

Nowhere is there a hint at Windows. So indeed, your Mac is a PC, and so is your Linux Box :)