Managing your show...

Gilrock

Full time elf
Hmm...you mean I was supposed to turn off my power supplies? I left all my power supplies, controllers, and FM equipment powered up all month. I've done it this way for 3 years now. I've gone several days without touching anything that runs the show but usually I'm changing sequences and uploading changes during the month. I've run everything on a laptop using the LOR scheduler and never had a show problem. After xmas I switched over to a Falcon Pi Player and it ran well enough I will switch to it next time. With the addition of the 12 ribbon tree my show grew in popularity this year and xmas eve and xmas night got a little crazy traffic wise but I didn't do much other than make sure my neighbor could get out of their driveway if needed. I mean what do you guys do...tell people to leave so others get a turn to look? Technically we don't have the authority to make anyone do anything regarding where they drive. The one issue we had is people would drive around the culdesac and park on the other side to watch so there would be several cars parked on the other side of the street watching and inevitably some bozo pulls up and stops directly in front of the display not realizing they are blocking the view from all the cars behind them.

dannyp

Full time elf
Kane said:
About the only thing I do manually is adjust the volume for my speakers, or at least when I remember to do so. I tend to try to turn the volume down at about 8:30, and generally off after 9 or 9:30 (show finishes at 10).
I have 2 shows. The first one runs until 10.30pm with sound and the second one from 10.30pm till midnight without sound. All I do is take the original sequence and change the MP3 file to one that just has silence in it (ie no sound) and use this sequence for the second show. Therefore there is no need to manually turn down music after a certain time.

kane

Dedicated elf
DannyP said:
I have 2 shows. The first one runs until 10.30pm with sound and the second one from 10.30pm till midnight without sound. All I do is take the original sequence and change the MP3 file to one that just has silence in it (ie no sound) and use this sequence for the second show. Therefore there is no need to manually turn down music after a certain time.
That sounds like a good idea if you don't want any audio at all - but myself, I still want people to be able to listen to the show from their cars - I just want the speakers in my front yard to be turned down, and then off.

CopperCreekLights said:
Hmm...you mean I was supposed to turn off my power supplies? I left all my power supplies, controllers, and FM equipment powered up all month. I've done it this way for 3 years now.
I think the general consensus is that if you use the cheap power supplies (that most of us use), then it's not recommended to leave them on 24x7. If you use good quality (meanwell) supplies, then that shouldn't be a problem.

This may be more of an issue for us here in Australia where it's summer at Christmas time, so things can get pretty warm, increasing chances of issues.