Matrix Animator and set up

Valentinorx

Apprentice elf
So I have just state using the demo version of LSP and been loving it. My question is the setting up of a 12 strip tree. I will use the 12v strip recommended by everyone like a CCR. Most likely a P12. How do I set this up in LSP, specifically can the matrix animator be used. I searched, a little, so I would be appreciative if even a link is posted.

Eddy, I did start watching your tutorials. Thank you for your contributions. This forum and the member here are the reason I am finally doing this in 2013.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
This has been added as a request to do in LSP to have the ability to create a 2D flat tree easily in LSP

BUT

A 2D tree is effectively just a matrix with one end closer at the top and wider at the bottom so i drew my tree as a matrix which enabled me to use the matrix tools to create animations. Whats important is the location of the drawing in your visualizer, it really doesnt matter if the tree is drawn as a matrix because in the end the effect is still the same.

Valentinorx

Apprentice elf
That's what I was thinking Eddy. So what does each square equate to? One pixel? That would be loads of boxes.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Yes that would be one pixel

My tree is 12 x 50 but some use 12 x 150 (individual 5vdc pixel strip) which adds a whole new level of complexity to create animations

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Valentinorx said:
That makes the strips you recommended an easy decision.

Thanks again

Thats one of the reasons i used this strip, i see no need for a 12 x 150 pixel resolution because you are still limited by the amount of strip used in the tree of being 12 wide (you can add more strip but the top of the tree then starts to become too wide). The 50 pixel strip is still very effective and in fact i find can be more effective because its easier to create your animations and when the tree is viewed from the street the individual pixel control starts to get lost in the distance.

remoteutah

Full time elf
Eddy, just curious what your average viewing distance is for your display. The reason I ask is that I looked at this same exact scenario and went with 150 pixels/strip -vs- 50 pixels/strip because my viewing distance will be 30-40 feet (10-15 meters). I wanted smoother resolution and when testing both, the 50 pixel strips seemed "jumpy". It could be that I was being very critical and the fact that using only 2 different strips to test (at that distance) in a dark empty yard with no OTHER lights going blinky/flash... it made it seem more jumpy.
On a side note, at that distance, there is very little difference between 150 pixels/strip and 300 pixels/strip, other than brightness when fully on. The 150's look nice and the 300's require sunglasses!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
My distance is about 10 to 15 metres from the street. One thing i do find is we are much more critical than what the audience will be, they will just be amazed at the show and most will never pick these things up.

In the end you need to choose what your happy with. For me im still very happy to use the 12vdc strip because of the ease of programming and connecting (voltage drop). I also like the blocky look as well because for me its supposed to be a christmas light show, not a video screen because it would be cheaper to buy a projector or a couple of HD TVs, but thats just my opinion which i know differs from many others.

DougieB

Full time elf
I agree with Eddy
my viewing distance is about 15m to road. I tested 150 v 50 pixel strips and went with 50 as it suited my piupose. Looking at making an horizontal matrix this year and most likely be the 150 strip for that purpose.
Horses for courses.
At the end of the day, whatever we do will wow the audience and that is what it is all about