Matrix in Xlights question

Mike D

New elf
Am looking at putting a matrix on my roof. As the pixels are 5cm apart will be putting each row 10 cm apart to keep the correct aspect ratio due to the angle of the roof.
Is there an easy way to do this without having to splice each row or creating a custom prop?

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Hi Mike,

Are you asking about the layout in xLights or physically? I agree with @merryoncherry in that it'll just work in xLights as long as you configure it for the proper horizontal or vertical layout.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Here are two other thoughts about building the matrix.
Say your pixels are 5cm apart. Then you'd zigzag. It'll be a little sloppy where you try to go 10 cm up roof, but nobody will notice.
On the other hand, say they are 10cm apart. Then, you want to go out along the roof, turn around, and fill in the gaps to get 5cm spacing, before going up a row. That's called "alternate nodes".
If you have more details about what you want, that would help.

Mike D

New elf
Am thinking of the set up in Xlights as to have each row 10cm apart in a matrix with 5 cm spacing of the pixels I either have to splice each row or put a Null pixel in between each row. Was wondering if there is a easy way to add the Null pixel between each row.
It will be a horizontal layout.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Personally I would just create the matrix, make a submodel of it that misses the ones to skip, and use that submodel everywhere... but I like my submodels and it wouldn't take long.

Mike D

New elf
Personally I would just create the matrix, make a submodel of it that misses the ones to skip, and use that submodel everywhere... but I like my submodels and it wouldn't take long.
Interesting idea. Will check that out. Thanks