Matrix Table

Phil-LMR

New elf
Hi all,
Got a real stupid question for the long term posters and admins..
Is there anywhere on here that is a table matrix (not Mr Jones) for what controller, software, sequencer, display works with what?
Ive gone through the 101 basics a couple of times now and I’m getting a bit more confused each time.
Sorry guys I’m a bit of a visual guy who needs it beaten in a few times for it to sink in..
Philip.
Maybe this could go into the 101 as an appendice

Last edited:

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
HI Philip.
Software works with most controllers, as it creates the channel data that the show player then sends as E1.31 data to controllers. So long as the controller is E1.31 then it should be fine (and almost all pixel controllers I'm aware of are.)
Main software choices are Vixen and xlights (both completely free and most preferred is xlights)
A quick google search of "pixel controller comparison" yielded the below as the top result. It was last updated in 2017 so is a little out of dtae, but should give you a bit more info as to what each one can do:

Phil-LMR

New elf
Thanks Graham,
TBH I’m ex postal who loves SAP.
I spose I’m too blinkered in my search criteria..
I downloaded Xlights last night and had a play with some functions and wow almost intuitive..

Maybe a matrix could be created just as a quick ref guide for us newbies, but only a thought..
Phil..

scamper

Dedicated elf
A table would be impossible without being a biased advertising stunt.
The reason I say this, is as Graham has said, the data that controls the lights is an industry standard so all controllers use this.
The voltage of the lights is pretty much either 5v or 12v unless you are cutting up store bought lights, then there is no standard.
So at the end of the day, you need to have a controller, some lights, a power supply for whichever and however many lights, cable to join it all and a computer to run the software and the software. Now pretty much ALL of these are interchangeable within reason, so if anyone made up a table, it would be biased to the product they were trying to push.
The best we can offer, and always recommend, is to gather a list of bits you wish to purchase, with details and links etc, then post it on here and you will have plenty of input on what will or won't work.
The most common problem people have, is supplying enough power.
And by the way, welcome to the nuthouse o_O :p

Phil-LMR

New elf
Arghhhh...
Lol.
Ok guys it seem i may be getting beaten into submission here.
Im obviously a bit of a stickler for ease of info, (past life in POST) and same form fit function. My history in POST (condensed version) 7 years postal tech, 7 years storeman/tech, last 8 years national purchasing of parts (local, national, international and ended up running the area) details are important to me, and info too. Engineers techs and sales peeps would be always trying to get things through without correct process.

So, from saying all that, yes i see there are Hanson boards, Falcon and a few others that are common to this group, i dont condone a single supply/use/sale (past life contravene the ACCC laws yes heavy stuff).

Was just a thought guys thats all.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.