Matts Way - RGB 3D Corro Stars

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
Let me just start out by saying, this is not my design, nor idea, I have just adjusted the design so that those from the normal world who like the metric system can easily calculate it and added some extra's, like tabs.

For the guide i used, check out http://www.christmaswonders.com/Coro_Star.html

I will however demonstrate the way i have constructed mine and some tips so you dont make the same mistakes i may have!

Please feel free to offer any advice as this is realistically my first corro project apart from some listed here on ACL.

The first thing I have had to check was the sizes. Please note that The link above is utilising a large sheet of corro for the instructions. That being a 4'x8' sheets. ( 1220mmx2440mm) available in Australia ( check http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,847.30.html )

I then drew my stars using the template i adjusted
0 corro star with cm.jpg

Please note, that you will have approximately 1cm left over at one end of the sheet. Dont cut this off. Its perfect for a tab to join the two ends of your star together.

Next, Using a ruler (the eye guage is not the best to use here) I marked the 1220mm x 620mm x5mm sheet accordingly and cut out the 2 pieces.
1 measure and cut.jpg

Next I scored what would be the inside of the star. The guide above only utilises a single score for the bends, but using Supermans tip here on each of the scores, will allow for a much nicer looking tips on the star. (I actually cut away 2 pieces of flute for the bends as this now allows a better bend past 90 degrees and helps for storage.)

Once the basic scoring is done, I marked out approximately 30mm from the bottom, and used a stanley knife to again score the corro accross the grain. Make sure you dont cut through the entire depth of the corro. Only the first layer and the flute walls themselves.

At the bottom of each of the verticle scores, I then used the blade again to cut through completely where the tabs are, and removed the small 3mm section this would create. (you can just cut the tabs from the score at 45 degrees at this stage)

then cut the 45 degrees to look like

4 tabs 45.jpg

Thats basically all the brain numbing stuff done. Now to the construction of it.

To make it easier for me, I made a template of a star, then marked drill holes both for the star and the base.

Ensure that all the scores allow for the correct bending and that the tabs at the bottom also bend enough.Using any kind of tape (I am using some weird almost non sticky tape which i found in the anuls of my shed), tape the star into the correct positions. (use a decent type of tape to hold the star ends together, ensure you tape on the outside of the star. You can paint over this later)

I have now adjusted the design so that this is held together by velcro now on all of the tabs. This allows for easy dissasemble and storage. Using glue, restricts the storage of this star to an area approximately 400x400x400mm)

There is no need to tape the star into a position. The only piece of tape required, is to hold the joine of the star together.

5 Zip ties.jpg

(I have used 3mm corro as the base, becuase it was spare, however, you can use any material you want. The guide above uses ply wood which i beleive is for weight on the bottom of the star.)

Next comes the painting. Choose your colour and style. I have used Black spray paint. Paint the star external sides and the base prior to assembly.

All you need to do now is choose what light you will use inside. I will be running cobles from the lower part of the large point base of the star and running 4 x 2801 pixels in each. dumb modules would be great in here, but alas, i am not running dumb lights this year. In total, the approximate cost of each star is AUD$7. Places in the US are selling a similar product for over USD$20 not including postage.

Storage of the velcro version of this is excellent. In the same size as the base, I can fit 3 folded stars, which only measure about 10cm high. GOLD!, Basically, in the space a constructed star would have taken up, i can fit approximately 15 stars.
10 storage 1.jpg

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Nice work and very informative Matt. It's probably worthwhile painting the outside of the sheet black before starting so you have to worry about overspray less. It is probably worth putting in some drain holes for water somewhere where there won't be too much light leakage. For you northerners who can expect 300mm of rain during December this may be important.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
well using the tab system at the bottom of the star automatically gives you the drainage gaps that you need. Granted. Painting first would probably be beneficial.. will try that tomorrow.. Also going to try make some mini ones for single modules. stay tuned on that one

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
Biggest issue with these stars is the size they are for storage.

Last night I was thinking about this as I was drifting off into my blinky light sleep land. I may have a solution that will enable these to be easily dissassembled after each year so it can be stored flat.

I am contemplating the use of velcro on the base and tabs, to hold it into place and some ad-hoc corro clips to hold the end of the star in place. I will have to move the cable entry point to the base now, but that should be no real issue.

Has anyone used velcro on corro before?

Bird

LOR user
what about a couple of holes in each tab and cable ties?
star.jpg

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I use velcro to hold up about 5 of my window based corro elements. I use genuine velcro brand and haven't had an issue in the probably 5 years I've been using it.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
Taking on some suggestions from replies both here and through PM and from idea's to make these easier to build and store, I have adjusted the guide above (in red) and added a few additional photo's.

The main changes to it are the use of zip ties, the removal of an additional flute from the scores and the construction of some templates for personal use. The overuse of tape is also gone now.

I did trial a 1/4 size star, but unfortunately, there was not enough space for a 2801 module inside, + it was extremmely small and would really have had little to no effect.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
So i have 3 trials happening at the moment. one star with velcro, one with hot glue and the other with zip ties, they are out in the elements just to see what happens to the bindings after a week.

Im thinking the glue is cut out of the equation straight up, mainly because of the space the constructed star takes up for storage.

The velcro is in front, due to its ease of assembly / dissasembly, but zip ties appear to make a much better bind.

Here is 8 stars folded next to a constructed star.

The bases arnt with the stars in the picture, but, 8 bases @ 2cm high each = 20cm. (P.s. you can fit 6 stars (minus bases) into an empty beer carton. hmmmmm beeeeeer)

Attachments

• Photo 7-05-12 13 54 27.jpg
    Photo 7-05-12 13 54 27.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 85