Mattson from the GC - signing in! - my proposed project/feedback welcome :)

mattson

New elf
Hi Everyone,

Stumbled across this forum a few weeks ago and haven't been able to tear myself away...

Having been so impressed by holiday lights for so many years, I've decided it's time to take the plunge and do something for myself... now I know I've come in far to late to make the holiday season this year - for at least anything beyond a basic show - and truth be told, I'll probably just end up playing around with this in my garage this year in preparation (training) for future holidays to come...

Now I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a complete noob with regards to this, albeit - I have had several years in IT and have done lots of multimedia work over the years, so looking at the tutorials for programs like LightShow/S3 etc make a lot of sense, and I think I have a basic understanding of how things tie together having read the forums and the ACL 101 Manual and a few other similar ones (which helped clear up a TONNE of questions I had)

I've drafted a plan for layouts etc for what I wanted... (see attached)

I had originally planned to buy a bunch of LOR equipment... but while I don't doubt the qaulity, the cost is a tad prohibitive, so my original design refers to CCR/CCF's (as Cosmic Colour Ribbons/Cosmic Colour Floods) but yeah - this will be replaced with other products, the other thing on there I refer to as the superstar - a name I somehow labelled the 6 string star (google superstarlights) from one of the LOR videos...

with all that in mind, I think I'm ready to make my hardware purchases

I have the necessary PC for sequencing/playback

"Mega Tree":
12x 5m Intelligent RGB Strip Lights
1x ECG-P12R Controller (A)
1x 12v Transformer (A)
Assorted shrink wrapping/cable ties/silicon/solder
Plugs for wiring lights to controller

"SuperStar"
6x LED Light String of counts 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 & 70 bulbs
1x ECG-P12R Controller (B)
1x 12v Transformer (B)

"Framing Archs"
4x 5m Intelligent RGB Strip Lights
1x ECG-P12R Controller (B)
1x 12v Transformer (B)

"Framing Borders"
4x 5m Intelligent RGB Strip Lights
1x ECG-P12R Controller (C)
1x 12v Transformer (C)

"Misc/Static/Display Lights"
Open to Suggestions - as I'm not sure what I'll need to pull these off?? Even if it's simple string lights/icles that could be daisy chained - or like the rubber coated patio ones bunnings sells that can be linked together

Basically just decrative fill lights are my expectation, and On second look - I'll drop the spots for the moment

on top the numbers above - of the main components - additional spares will be purchased to cover all bases in case of breakage.

I plan on getting LightStudio (I assume based off my count - I'll need the Advanced license)

As mentioned - I know the timing and complexity will not come close to xmas deadlines this year... but I still look forward to the challenge of playing with some sequences - even if it's just in the garage

Feed back/Thoughts/suggestions apprecaited.

Kind Regards,

Matt

Edit - I can't seem to find the way to attach my schematic :(

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome57.gif

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, glad you are finding the forum a great resource.

In you listing of parts you have the P12R mentioned 4 times, does this mean you plan on getting four P12R controllers, because you will only need the one to do what you want. Or if you have a distributed layout the the ECG-P2 may be a better choice for you

DougieB

Full time elf
Welcome to ACL. Very ambitious project for your first year. Nothing like diving into the deep end. One question though, for your mega star are you going to use pixels or static LEDs. If you are using Pixels the the P12 or P2 is your controller. Otherwise you will need DC controller like the AVD DC48. goodluck and enjoy your stay

mattson

New elf
Thanks for the feedback guys...

Dougieb - I believe the design calls for Static LED lights , but I figured if I could find single LED intelligent bulbs in the right configurations, making them colourful as well would be a neat addition...

that said - I am curious how using the systems I plan - how I would integrate a DC controller with the J1Sys stuff and LightShowPro (I couldn't find the right google string to get info on this one)

Yes - I am aiming to be ambitious - I have started building the frame for my tree - so if I can finish at least the tree, and star and 1 synchronised sequence/musical number and a basic looping light only sequence and have the rest as static lights - I would consider this year - mission accomplished!

but I will start on just a light only basic loop as long as everything comes together the way I plan ;)

Feed back appreciated :)

Kind Regards,

Matt

DougieB

Full time elf
There are several ways to integrate the controllers but the easiest way is to go 1.31 and use another j1sys product the D4. It will control 4 universes of DMX controllers like the DC48 or LOR cards and runs off a network with the P12/p2's . Here is a link for some light reading tha does a very good job of explaining how it all works and how to put it all together
Doug

burner

Full time elf
I have my avd48 plugged into my pc via a USB cable into a open DMX adaptor. The j1sys p12 is plugged into my LAN and they both work side by side without and issues. You can buy single rgb pixels in a string from ray wu too, and if you email him a request he can make up specific configurations also.

mattson

New elf
Hi burner,

Any recommended resellers of the adv48 and USB dmx adaptor?

I googled and found heaps online... Some looked dodgy lol

Also does anyone know if (advanced) can be ordered cheaper through a reseller or similar? I was hoping to stay under $200 for my software budget...

Much appreciated..

Matt

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
burner said:
Yes David_AVD is a member here who created and supplies the AVD 48, he can also supply the dongle and even power supplies, and even better he is located in Queensland just like Mattson is, so it wont take long to ship or depending on distnace he can pick it up directly.
Here is the link for the AVD 48 and the DMX dongle or you can look at the other goodies available from the link that burner provided