Max Distance between Cut up 2811 12v strips

marsh28

Apprentice elf
My plan next year is to have 6 2811 (50 pixel) strips outline the windows of my house and I will therefore want to cut each strip into four pieces. Provided I have a 350 watt power supply in between each window, what would be the maximum distance I could have between the four separate sections of each cut up strip without having issues with voltage drop? To make sequencing easier, I'd like to connect each cut up strip as follows:

Top Horizontal Portion of Window: Pixels 1-11 -> 1.5 meter cable to Bottom horizontal portion of Window: Pixels 12-22 -> 1.5 meter cable to Top left Vertical Portion of Window: Pixels 23-36 -> 1.5 meter cable to Top Right Vertical Portion of Window: Pixels 37-50.

Can I have 1.5 meter distances between the cut up portions of the strip or will I have issues? Thanks

burner

Full time elf
You should be able to get around 2-3m easily when using standard alarm cabling between your runs. Personally though I would wire them up in a complete square as a straight run (ie top-right-bottom-left) and then use the sequencing software to organise the data.

In LSP (and probably in the other software too) you could create an element/controller for each section of the window and then move those controllers around so that top and bottom are together and then left/right are together. In my case I have a sheet next to my computer that tells me the number of pixels and the start number for each section of my 4 windows, so I know where to past the information.

G

GoofyGuy

I have and you can see in my display some runs are near 8m between pixels with 18/3 cable. Tested and proven on my house. Using a E681

marsh28

Apprentice elf
Burner, I think I'm just going to connect the corners together and map out each pixels as you've suggested. Thanks for the help

robt

Apprentice elf
I'm still trying to work out the tech details, you mentioned 18/3 cable, i saw in another thread suggested 14/020 cable, are these similar? I am in the usa, and i don't see how any of the cable is rated like that.

For example, a popular hardware store we have here is called home depot, i don't know if it's in australia or other parts of the world, they don't list specs in that way.

Also, most places will only sell rolls of hundreds of feet each, do you know any alternatives?

You can buy similar cable in the US, in fact you have more choice, its actually found on Ebay under speaker cable