Mega tree controller setup

Jimmy

New elf
Last year I started out with a simple mega tree of 16 strings by 50 pixels, each string plugged into one pigtail on the E682.
This year I want to add a 6 row star. I watched the video on how to set it up and got it going, however it seems to waste a lot of the outputs.
That is one pigtail out of 4 for the first rings, and then again for the next couple of rings and finally again for the last ring. This now leaves 4 outputs for the strands.
Is there a better way to set it up or do I need another controller.
Thanks

LeighH

New elf
How many pixels are used in the star? How many pixels per port can the E682 handle?

Jimmy

New elf
The star has 3 inner rings at 20, 30 and 40 all on one string the next 2 are 50 and 60 on one string and the outer ring is 70 on one string.
According to the manual in multicast mode it can do 7 universes or 3570 channels or unicast mode 12 universes or 6120 channels.
I hope that makes sense.

LeighH

New elf
So that totals 270 pixels. My Mini Trees total 500 pixels & are ran off one port, you should be able to join all strings together & run it off one port easily.
Is it 5v or 12v you may want to power inject.

Jimmy

New elf
It is 5V. So you are saying run the whole star as one string and add some power injection on the star.
I will look into it.

Dreamin

Full time elf
It is 5V. So you are saying run the whole star as one string and add some power injection on the star.
I will look into it.
I have the same star running 5V, just run power injection from the pigtail at the input to the end of the star and it levels out the power nicely.