Mega tree materials.

Devo549

New elf
G’day all, Quick question for the aussies, I’ve pretty much finished building and testing all my props with only the mega tree left. I was planning on using the A.S.A.P design with a portable hole. I dont plan on going too big as my yard isn’t all that big. Does anyone know if if these parts (mainly the poles I’m talking about) are attainable from bunnings? or should I just source them from a steel joint? Cheers

scamper

Dedicated elf
Does anyone know if if these parts (mainly the poles I’m talking about) are attainable from bunnings? or should I just source them from a steel joint? Cheers
Steel is one of the things I would definitely shop around for. Don't forget the smaller places either.
If you know someone in the industry try and get them to get what you need at trade price.
Also, look at trying to get what you need from scrap, yard clean up's salvage yard, scrap steel merchants etc.
My pole is actually a section of trampoline base for the bottom pole and a steel water pipe for the top. Trampolines use an odd size and the water pipe slides inside neatly.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Bunnings isn't always cheap, you pay for convenience of location and having everything together. Whilst not megatree related, I have a Capral Aluminum supplier the next suburb over and is MUCH cheaper for things like flat bar or angle alum compared to Bunnings. So if you want to save as few $, it could pay to shop around.

Devo549

New elf
Your both right . I went to Bunnings this morning to suss it out. Wasn’t really impressed with what they had. Ended up going to a local steel supplier, showed him the ASAP part list and they sorted it out for me. Man steel isn’t cheap but I’m big believer in a cheap man buys twice.

bpratt

Senior elf
too late now as you've got it, but I went with a aluminium scaffolding pole, 48mm x 4.4mm around $90 or so, but a lot lighter but just as strong or stronger.