Mega Tree power winch opinion

McNonny

New elf
While we aren’t new to the lights (my husband has been doing them for years), a mega tree is a new thing fired us.
I decided I wanted a 15-16’, 360° tree. I’ve found plenty online as to how to build, but I can’t find anything in why I WOULDN’T or shouldn’t use an electric winch. Since we’ve never done one, can anyone think of a reason why not to use an electric winch rather than a hand crank boat winch?
We don’t have the strips if lights mounted in the tower yet, but the pole is done and seems to be doing what it’s supposed to.
Trying to avoid attaching 32 stands of lights only to find out the pole isn’t going to work.
Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

10’ tall inner and outer pole. Outer pole is 1 1/4” rigid conduit, inner pole is 1” galvanized.
2000lb electric winch, lifting 1” EMT push pole. Using the Monkhouse ASAP Jr plans.
Holiday Coro topper Q2 with 2 1/2” spaced pix mode strips.
2k lb electric winch with remote from Harbor Freight.

Attachments

• IMG_3845.png
    IMG_3845.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3845.png
    IMG_3845.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 26

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
My concern with an electric winch is that you'd not be able to "feel" the tension you're putting on the strips, an you may end up destroying them.
Especially a 2000lb capacity winch, your little MT strips wouldn't stand a chance

scamper

Dedicated elf
My concern with an electric winch is that you'd not be able to "feel" the tension you're putting on the strips, an you may end up destroying them.
Especially a 2000lb capacity winch, your little MT strips wouldn't stand a chance
I suppose a way around this would be to attach several wires that you tension and would also act as stabilisers.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
If you have an electric winch I see no reason not to use it as long as you pay close attention when bringing it up. Personally, I have a few and chose to go buy a worm gear hex drive winch at local tractor supply. I bring it up slow with my Makita impact in a minute or so. My bigger concern is the QT2 from Holiday Coro. Any bigger tree than that use something else. Almost lost my mega tree due to QT3 topper.. I had to install a piece of 1/2" steel plate on the top of mine to get thru the year. New topper a little bit better.. Best just to avoid Holiday Coro in general

Attachments

• QT topper....jpg
    QT topper....jpg
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • HCSUX.jpg
    HCSUX.jpg
    900.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2917.jpg
    IMG_2917.jpg
    772.8 KB · Views: 21

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Agree with @uncledan, the plastic toppers are fine for a 10-12' tree with light/moderate tension but it sounds like you have the ambition to pull a lot harder than it will take. Reinforcing it is an option if you can't get a steel topper in a hurry.